1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Getting A Canadian Diploma Notarised in the UK for a China Visa Query

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Adrift43, Dec 5, 2018.

  1. Adrift43

    Adrift43 New commenter

    Hello all,

    As evidenced by my previous posts to this forum, myself and my wife are making a very exciting move to Hangzhou in China to work for Basis International School. However one possible complication in getting a Chinese Work Visa could be the requirement for a notarised/authenticated diploma. Not that I don't have my own original copy of it, the thing is that it's Canadian (University of Toronto to be precise). I've been living in the UK since 2013 and thus I'm wondering if I can even apply for my China Visa here? In addition can a UK notary authenticate a Canadian University diploma or do I need to fly back to Toronto just to get it done? I've been trying to get in touch with the Chinese Visa Centre in the UK but due to the nature of my work day I'm currently find it impossible to find the time to call them up!

    I know it is a bit of a long shot but I was wondering if anyone on this forum may be able to answer this query.

    Looking forward to hearing from you all soon!
  2. Helen-Back

    Helen-Back Occasional commenter

    I think you need a certified true copy which the Canadian embassy can do for $20. Pretty sure that's what we did when we move to China, although things may have changed.
  3. Adrift43

    Adrift43 New commenter

    Right and the Chinese embassy accepted a copy certified by the Canadian embassy? I contacted them and they said that it's up to the Foreign British office to approve diploma's but when I checked the British Foreign Office's list of recognised institutes which they notarise my university and no non-UK universities came up on it!

Share This Page