1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

#GetTheChildrenWriting

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Apr 1, 2020.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

We are living in Historic Times

The 2020 Lockdown will be seen as a major global event of the 21st Century.

Get the children writing about their experience.

Your children and grandchildren.

You or their parents if they are very young, explaining what it was like for a child.

Your pupils too.

Get the children writing. Age-relevant diaries, illustrated journals.

Their children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren will study this. They will love to hear first-hand accounts read contemporary reports.

Get the children of today writing for the children of tomorrow.

Keep safe everyone

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Great idea Theo.
    We truly are a 'part of history'.
    Unfortunately my grandchildren are all under 4 , so it may well be a 'recorded video for them. :)

Lidnod and Jamvic like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I'm trying to write a story for my grandson (nearly 7). It might keep him out of my daughter's hair for a bit. The problem is the two younger ones who don't read yet and need entertainment. (Some observers may know I have written novels and the recent Sherlock Holmes parodies)

jellycowfish, TheoGriff and Jamvic like this.
  4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Great idea. I bet there are loads of diary style blogs, from a wide variety of global perspectives, young & old, already ongoing while we’re all in lockdown & at a loose end. Some, from China/Italy in particular, may make harrowing future reading.

Lidnod and TheoGriff like this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@Lara mfl 05

I didn't explain well.

Not a diary for them now, write something to give to them to keep as a record of what it is like, as they are too young to have their own record to keep and show in the future.

They can show their grandchildren the record from a great-great-grandmother!

Best wishes

Lidnod likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ah! Got it now. :D I was thinking of it as a type of 'verbal time capsule' for them to do.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I have written it now and will post it off to my grandson. It is called "Captain Banana and the Space Monkeys of Zoll" about 1400 words. I have printed it on A5 at 16 font Arial, so it should be easy for him to read. (It might be rubbish.) BUT I wondered how I can share? There must be loads of bored kids and grandkids with googly eyes from watching tablets and telly, that might be diverted by a daft book. I haven't done illustrations, I am not a drawist.

Is it possible to attach a microsoft word file to a PM? If someone wanted it.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There are certainly all those little icons at the top of the conversation window.

Give it a try!

Keep safe, everyone

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have been sharing this idea with friends and relatives round the country and round the world.

I believe very strongly that this is an opportunity not to be missed.

In 20, 30, years. I don't want them to be thinking "I wish I remembered more about how it was for me and for my family".

#GetTheChildrenWriting

Keep safe everyone

Lara mfl 05 likes this.