1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Get well soon....!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by vikingmaid, Apr 28, 2012.

1. I have just been reading a really good book about depression, when the author wrote something that really struck home.
    People who are off sick due to depression etc, don't get any 'Get well soon' cards.
    My O/H has been off work after a breakdown for 2 months and not so much as an email. I know people find mental health difficult to deal with, but I thought if we encouraged one another to send a a card, not only would it challenge this, but SMT might be forced to be more sympathetic and see it for what it is, a genuine health issue like all the other, and not someone who is weak or swinging the lead. we all know that often it's the strongest that suffer the most!
    I don't know, what do you think?[​IMG]

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What a wonderful idea!
    Depression is a difficult one for so many people to handle, but as you correctly say is an illness just like any other. People with stressful jobs and strong people do also seem to suffer more. It's also difficult for strong people to admit to and especially if one is worried about how it could be viewed by an empluoyer / colleagues. So from me too to your OH
    [​IMG]

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Do you think it might stem from the fact that people don't know the true nature of someone's illness when they are signed off with stress/depression/another mental disorder? This sort of information isn't generally shared and colleagues are often left in the dark.
    In addition to that, I'd imagine that many people feel as though they don't really know what the right thing is to say: 'Get Well Soon' may seen to trivialise the illness, as though it can be mended quickly like a broken arm or a flu. And 'get well soon' may seem more appropriate to physical injuries.
    Of course, there's always just the 'hush hush' attitude towards mental illness - a shame, but very common I think - where it's just not somehing that people discuss; it's considered very private and not something that people should talk about.
    A final reason could be that people at work don't wish to be seeming to 'pester' the person whilst they are offf sick. Union guidelines do tend to advise that the school or workplace shouldn't contact the person whilst signed off because the mention of work itself can be detrimental to their recovery and they need to be completely left alone. I'd imagine that some employers take this advice to the letter and won't even contact the person to wish them well for fear it could be seen as an attempt to gauge how long they'll be off for and pressure them to get better.
    Of course, I'm sure there are some cases where the employers as just totally ignorant about mental conditions and are rather *** off that the person is off when there's nothing outwardly wrong with them.
    Best wishes to your OH, hope he feels better soon.
    xxx