1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

get together in the South of England

Discussion in 'Independent' started by nortam, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hello I am a Housemistress in a Boarding School in the South of England I would like to hear from any houseparents who either want to meet up/email as a support group .
    It is often a isolated job being a houseparent and I often wish I had someone to ask for advice.
    Cheers
    Polly

2. Hello I am a Housemistress in a Boarding School in the South of England I would like to hear from any houseparents who either want to meet up/email as a support group .
    It is often a isolated job being a houseparent and I often wish I had someone to ask for advice.
    Cheers
    Polly

3. Hi Polly,
    Being a Housemistress is one of the most demanding jobs purely because there is no real time when your are actually 'off duty.' Before I had my daughter I was a Resident House Tutor/Teacher and worked with two different Housemasters. I am thinking of applying for a Housemistress post now that my daughter is 5 and has started school and am realistic about the amount of working hours and emotional input that this position requires. You are right that it can be isolating, you really need do create your own support network. Have you set days on which you are off, and do you leave the House completely during this time? What do the other Housemasters/Mistresses within your school do? What about suggesting a Housemistress Workshop within you school or neighbouring school and addressing an issiue each month to collect best practice eg Managing Parents Expectations...Hope this helps. N