1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Get this . . .

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by WillyDjangoReinhardt, Jan 12, 2016.

1. WillyDjangoReinhardt

WillyDjangoReinhardt Occasional commenter

Agencies . . . a response to one of their emails
    Regarding your comments on any difficulties that I may have in my life perhaps you should try being a supply teacher : no secure income, being sent to schools and subjects when you expressly stated you would rather not. frequently scapegoated when it goes wrong and we do it you as a favour, told lies by schools and agencies, pay repeatedly undercut, difficult and demanding work, unsympathetic agencies. Constant changing of staff no permanent professional relationships, new staff knowing nothing of your previous hard work or professionalism inseccant numbers of challenging children and having to repeatedly restart at new venues, agencies that can't secure your own subject or even any work, I could go on and on and on. This is why agencies should support people like me its why I am in the situation I'm in you and your ilk are responsible.
    Thanks anyhow and I remain available for work this week and next.

2. educ80

educ80 Occasional commenter

I urge you with every fibre in my being to leave this agency. I can really understand your frustration and the possibly comedic/glib comment at the end about availability, but it only makes agencies think that given all that negativity, you are still at the end of the phone when they need you.
    Find an agency that will value you or go on your own. Speak to local schools and find out which agencies they use or if they would take you directly and then make the change. If you, and every supply teacher out there with similar gripes and causes for concern turned round and voted with their feet then rogue agencies and shoddy outfits would shudder to a halt overnight.
    I say this as the manager of a supply agency desperately advocating fair teacher pay and standardisation of conditions for supply teachers.

3. WillyDjangoReinhardt

Educ80 thanks for your response problem is though as see it is this is true across the board, in my experience this is how they all behave. I will not accept I'm afraid just because there are a few exceptions that means they get off the hook. This is not a generalisation its the nature of the beast, the supply agency is a monster fundamentally out to survive and compete for business with each other at our expense. A trained professional. having people insuating its my fault and implying I am responsible for the lack of work and the consequences it has upon me it way a step to far! This was a frustrated response summarising years of maybe 12-15 agencies, all agencies all doing just this, its dishonest for me to pretend otherwise. And dare I say despite you kind well intended words even you.

4. WillyDjangoReinhardt

Educ80 I have neglected to pass comment on your suggestion to go it alone with schools sorry. These are steps I really should make more of an effort with but at the moment I really have no idea how to go about it having had all the stuffing squeezed out of me by the situation. As much as I want to I have the feeling it just isn't that easy or that simple after all your basically competing with the armed ranks of the agencies, but even so thanks its a good idea . . . possibly

5. educ80

I too have been working hard for 12 years and have been let down, lied to, ignored, undermined, bullied and been subject to wholly unproffessional behaviour from both teachers and schools despite also being a trained proffessional. I can only give my side of the story and havent walked a mile in your shoes, however I have interviewed and worked with many who have. Some I have worked with for a decade or more.
    If you dont want to work with agencies then take the proactive step not to. Many on these forums have espoused the virtues of contacting schools directly and you will find some sound advice on how to go about this.
    I have ranted on a few times across these forums about the need for supply teachers to stand up for their own rights rather than relying on agencies to do it for them. One day in the dim and distant past a scurrilous supply agency consultant asked an unwitting teacher to take less pay and that teacher said yes, that started an inexcorable decline in the conditions of supply staff that can only be halted or reversed with Teacher power.
    If you feel that ALL agencies are the same then you should agree with me that it is down to you - its easier said then done and takes real strength of character, but only by rising from adversity can you effect fundamental change.
    Bit dramatic??

6. WillyDjangoReinhardt

No not dramatic Educ80 inspiring words!

7. WillyDjangoReinhardt

Also please to see you acknowledge the depressing truth about the state of most schools and the dreadful unprofessionalism lies and nonsense coming from office witches up and down the land, my words here I know you not yours educ80, doesn't do me any good saying but it is im afraid its my experience. Its no longer teachers dealing teachers But gargoyles guarding the coffers.

8. WillyDjangoReinhardt

Educ80 offer me a job!

9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

WDR

If you search do a search on this site for threads about starting up on your own, you will find a few well written threads on how to go about it. However, it is not as easy as it appears, but you won't know until you try contacting schools directly. You can, however, change agencies.

There are reputable agencies; granted, they may be few but they do exist since I have worked with the same one for almost seven years. I get a fair wage, am paid on time, and treated with courtesy.

Supply teaching can be very, very difficult especially if you do it for any length of time.

10. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

"Find an agency that will value you"

Wake up! They will never value except if they can see you making easy money for them. Agencies are not there to do you favours. I knew a Maths supply teacher at my last school who was paid £130 a day by the agency. I also knew that we paid the agency £270 a day. That Maths teacher was giving away £700 a week to an agency, who must have spent 5 minutes finding a placement for him.

Wise up. Agencies exist to make as much money as possible from you with as little effort as possible. Don't EVER think they like you, or respect you, or value you. You are a piece of meat which they will chew on when they feel like it.

Set yourself up on your own. Take control. Be in charge. Stop finding reasons why you shouldn't do it. Stop being lazy.

11. WillyDjangoReinhardt

Twinklefoot: I am a bit confused with you telling me to wise up, believe I've seen enough been doing it for 14 years I am wised up but caught in a trap. But get the general thrust of you say I know some of it already not everyone is either a Maths teacher or an English teacher. Id have it made wouldn't I if I was what do you suggest for an Art teacher. . . .you said ( Set yourself up on your own. Take control. Be in charge. Stop finding reasons why you shouldn't do it. Stop being lazy.) Ok which school you ill apply it there . . . ? :)

Do you work in school office or are you a teacher or working for an agency?

"Find an agency that will value you" is total bluster your contradicting yourself they do not exist don't tell me they do.

12. WillyDjangoReinhardt

yep thanks pepper5 reckon its not that simple but may well try. As for agencies like I say its just a revolving door for me Im only an Art teacher f all status.

13. educ80

To build a balanced view on this topic it is essential to gain what is referred to as 'triangulation'. Many opinions and experiences shared together will give you a whole picture and the last two posts from pepper5 and Twinklefoottoe are a prime example. One has found the right agency, the other has not but has found a different, perhaps better way of doing it.
    I have historically had to admonish my consultants for unscrupulous practice, and have consultants leave because I have not allowed them to slash teacher pay or cut corners on compliance so we can compete with others in our market who do. I now dont hire any consultants who have worked at competitors because bad habits are typically ingrained. I get that we are quite unique in the market and that with this moral approach we are 'slower' than our competitors, more expensive than our competitors and are often have work snatched away from under us by comeptitors hi-jacking our bookings but I know our approach has 'The right thing to do' at the heart of it and in the long run our reputation will stand out.
    Im not sure how beneficial one of my ultra-long ranting posts is on this particular thread so I wont bother but I take extraordinary exception to the ignorant dismissal of the '5 minutes' work consultants do that you allude to. Any job can be crystallized in to a pithy phrase and subsequently derided so show a little intelligence.

14. WillyDjangoReinhardt

Educ80 I wasn't the person that said : the '5 minutes' work consultants do. Twinklefoot did. Anyway my kindly responder stop advertising on here LOL all agencies are the same fundamentally, its a business, education ought not to be. I sincerely wish you luck but I fear in order for you to survive you will to adopt eventually 'unscrupulous practices' in order to survive and end doing the do the same or go bust. . . come on!!! seen and heard this so many times before you sound sincere so I wish you well. I used to be paid to scale by one agency but guess what ? They went bust.

15. educ80

My last comment was not directed at you WDR.
    Why not try shopping around among agencies. Dont join any of them until they give you the answers you want - if none of them do then you know where you stand.
    Dont make excuses - act.
    Good luck

pepper5 likes this.
  16. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

WDR

Someeople have managed to set themselves up and work directly with schools, but I maintain that it is not as easy at it sounds for a whole variety of reasons that I don't have time to explain.

I would say 90% of my work is general cover so not subject specific. If you are able and willing to teach any subject you might find more work. You don't say the amount of work is what is upsetting you, but rather dealing with agencies or schools.

As Imsaid before supply teaching can be grueling as you know and some of the agencies and schools don't make the job easier. You can't control other people's behaviour but you can control your own and your reaction to it.

Start by looking around for some new agencies or think about contacting schools directly; you might be pleasantly surprised on schools needing art teachers a subject not everyone can teach. Also, with your skills have you never considered starting a small business on the side? Something as a backup plan?

Remember tomorrow is a new day and all this will come to pass - nothing is forever and things do change.

17. WillyDjangoReinhardt

Sorry Twinklefoottoe I may have misread some of this this originally . . . brain strain

18. WillyDjangoReinhardt

Bless you pepper5 yes I currently do mainly general that's not the issue the issue was the attitude of agencies but also schools to supply teachers or staff. I was particularly aggrieved with something lately (school to agency to me) but we all know its an ongoing attitudinal by product of what we do, schools are on occasion zoos, you cannot be expected to superhuman all the time. As for something on the side yes a temp job and freelance work but again that I would have to explain all sorts I would rather not. its not enough needless to say the Supply work is inadequate as well and remains hopeless choice for most . . . unless your a maths teacher etc . . I know its all gonna pick up soon but that still not good enough for me I have done the leg work and all sorts of subject contracts long termers shortermers, day to day etc etc when school and agencies try to bully you with negative feedback come on . . . . enough, they can F. Off

19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

WDR

Don't worry...things will get better.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.