1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Get them to sing...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by schoolman123, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Dear all,

Have been leading the choir at my school for a term now... and it has been quite tough. After learning songs for a Christmas performance, and fluctuating numbers, I want to do something different this term to motivate the kids.
    So... What do other people do to encourage their children to join the choir and enjoy the choir? Are there any books that would help with song ideas?

Thanks for any help!

2. Dear all,

Have been leading the choir at my school for a term now... and it has been quite tough. After learning songs for a Christmas performance, and fluctuating numbers, I want to do something different this term to motivate the kids.
    So... What do other people do to encourage their children to join the choir and enjoy the choir? Are there any books that would help with song ideas?

Thanks for any help!

3. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

Do you use singup? Huge number of good and fun songs. You could also look at singing games and rhymes for Middle Years (NYCOS) - children really enjoy them and they develop good musical skills.

4. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I'm teaching some songs with signing in at the moment, ready for the sign2sing world record attempt. They sent me a DVD with videos of songs with the signs and the chn love them. Frequent reference to Mr Tumble too which I watch rather too much of (1 year old daughter)!
    Other good songs have included rounds, Junior Songscape songs from musicals (on Amazon), Fischy Music songs (look on Google), traditional African songs, etc. I think it's usually better to work towards an event than sing for the sake of it- is there a community event or concert you could take part in?

5. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

You can also teach them hymns that the rest of the school don't know, then get them to perform in assembly and teach the other children the new song. It gives them a sense of importance and saves teaching new songs yourself!

6. http://www.singup.org/
    A fantastic resource!

7. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

One of the most interesting and irritating things I see in primary schools. This insistence that all kids from 4-11 no matter whether they enjoy it, are interested in it or are any good at it should all sing in assemblies, productions (what a complete waste of their time by the way) is incredible. Usually enforced by deluded musical teachers who think that it is of vital importance.
    My passion is PE, esp football and cricket but there is no way I would make somebody play the sports twice a week if they hated it and then get them to stand at one side if they didnt want to do it. its funny how selective some teachers can be over whats important