1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Get the interviews, can't get the job!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by woods7, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Looking through Theo's links now...just wondered if anyone had any other advice

2. I gather they're not always completely honest in their feedback. I don't think the lesson has to be whizzy - do something you've done before and know goes well. My friend got a job this week and to be honest, I'd inwardly thought her interview lesson sounded really dull, but they obviously saw a good, solid lesson that met the objective. Do you get very nervous? That's my big problem. When I'm teaching, I can just blank the people observing and relax into it. In interviews, I find the pressure just crushing! [​IMG]
    I was exactly the same - always getting shortlisted, always coming second. Now, with no interviews in sight, I long for those good old days! HEHE. I think that if the feedback you get isn't very helpful, or is inconsistent so you doubt its reliability, you need to reflect hard on what it is that's not getting you quite to the end, and how you can fix it for next time. Many congrats on those two interviews; I won't even bother to hide my envy! Hope you get one, though! Good luck

3. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I'm sure you'll get one soon! You sound as if you have a lot to offer or you wouldn't be shortlisted.
    What is your subject/age range? x

4. Primary.

Thanks for making me feel a bit better. There's only so many knock backs you can take!

I really have taken the advice on board and I know that my lessons have improved so much.

I mean, the interview I got today was from a school I hadn't applied for. Another school where I had an interview (no job obviously!) recommended me.

I'm going through all the Ofsted Outstanding business now. I find the time limits (usually 20-30) quite difficult as well as not knowing the class.

After this many knock backs, I really am starting to get nervous!!

5. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Apart from the stage, this post could have been written by me!

Are you a prospective NQT or a bit more experienced? If its the latter than Im afraid to say it's cost, schools seem to be going cheap cheap cheap!

I am also on 10 interviews and have had to reject 4 more for reasons of 2 on same day etc!

6. anon8315

Honestly, I was the same last year and I got really upset but eventually I got one (lucky 13 for me!) I am secondary English so I'm not sure with primary.
    What I found helped was organising all resources children would need for the lesson into plastic wallets, which I'd then whack out on the desk and get stuck into teaching. It saved me running around and wasting valuable time and schools have always commented on it favourably. I don't know if that would work at primary level, though.
    For the 20/30 minutes, I find one very specific and clear objective works best but then I follow a basic formula of start, introduce, develop, sum up. I hope that helps a little: probably not! I am not too well-up on the needs of tiny ones! But from what everyone has said primary is so competitive, honestly, you have done amazingly well to get that many interviews and I'm sure it's just rotten luck, all the best for your ones this next week!

7. Nope NQT :(

Getting to the point where it's starting to make me think I can't do it. Just wish someone had told me at the start of my 4 year course!

I'm not sure if my reference might be a let down. It was a really tough placement and I struggled to be at my best. My placement report was very much average...average isn't what you want interview wise" I could ask to see it but I don't suppose it will change anything? Head teacher of previous placement is ill so cannot ask him. Just an idea where it's going wrong.

8. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to give you much help as I am in the exact same position, except I have only had four interviews not ten. Feedback has been about my observed lesson for the first three, however the fourth didn't mention it...so I am not sure if that is good or bad...

My final placement was difficult as well with an average report which worries me.

As someone has stated at least you are getting the interviews, I would rather have an interview than complete 10 applications in a week and not here back from ANY of them.

9. If your references were average/poor, you wouldn't be getting interviews.

10. Hi all.

I had an interview today and actually got the job!!!

Don't give up, it's all experience :)

11. anon8315

Well done! Told you! [​IMG]

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So to encourage others you need to start a new thread 'Dear Theo I got that job' thread. For now [​IMG] Well done!