1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Get pupils, not teachers, to tell parents about their behaviour

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Jamvic, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/dfe-get-pupils-not-teachers-tell-parents-about-their-behaviour

Pupils, rather than teachers, could tell parents and carers about their behaviour, new advice published by the Department for Education suggests. The proposal is one of a series of measures that the department says schools should consider in order to reduce workload.

“Consider how pupils, rather than the teacher, can be responsible for their behaviour; for example, by informing their parents and carers and writing reports for their teacher about their behaviour.”

:D:D:D:D Can’t breathe for laughing.... just imagining what some of my past bottom set year 11’s would have written in their ‘parental report’ about their behaviour.

rdharmasiri, agathamorse and bonxie like this.
  2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Did this report come out on April 1st?

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The number of times I've said to parents "well, what actually happened was..."

Having said that, I've also seen "Now phone your parents and tell them what you've just done.." work very powerfully. It has to be under supervision though!

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

That was my first thought too but no, it’s not an April Fool’s article.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

I know! I often thought that if certain pupils could harness the same imaginative skills in their English work as they employ in their excuses/explanations for bad behaviour they would have achieved amazing grades.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Or when a kid has told me that they will get their parents up to the school about me I have said "Let's go phone them now"!

7. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Yes blazer. This has worked for me in the past too.

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  8. WB

WB Occasional commenter

I think prisoners should write their on parole recommendations.

9. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

This workload reducing idea needs to be taken further: schools could write their own inspection reports. Half a page should suffice (don't want to make that task too onerous).

agathamorse, Eszett, bevdex and 6 others like this.
  10. gainly

gainly Established commenter

Why not get teachers, rather than pupils, to take the exams. I often think how much simpler it would be if I could just do the exam for them.

agathamorse, Eszett and Jamvic like this.
  11. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

:D Love it!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Apart from the hilarious idea of getting pupils to write their own behaviour reports, it is not clear what the point is of the remaining suggestions. They are either what already happens (are there any schools which don't use some sort of 3 level codes for behaviour issues?) or things which would be good but we can't afford (a central place responsible for out-of-class behaviour management).

Jamvic likes this.
  13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Great idea. I'll write my own appraisal and my own references too.

agathamorse, Jamvic and bonxie like this.
  14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I took a look over my grand daughters 11+ practice paper at the weekend. I struggled! I don't recall it being that hard when I took it in 1968!

15. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

Surely workload would increase! First I’d have to read all the reports and then correct them! :p

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  16. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

Can the DfE really not be aware that publishing this kind of advice makes them sound ridiculous. Or do they just not care anymore?

agathamorse and Eszett like this.
  17. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

The only version of this I use is at Parent's evening - I always ask the student what they think I am going to be speaking to their parents about. Most of my students identify their in class flaws fairly quickly and it stops parents complaining as much - it is hard to deny a child's poor behaviour when they have already admitted it!

agathamorse, bevdex and Jamvic like this.
  18. gainly

gainly Established commenter

Here's a radical idea. Why not let teachers, rather than ignorant here-today-gone-tomorrow politicians, devise the curriculum.

agathamorse likes this.