1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Get FREE newspapers every day on your Kindle

Discussion in 'Book club' started by TheoGriff, May 3, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, the Old-Timers know how to do this. But for anyone new who doesn´t know, thought it was worth repeating.
    OK. Here it is in Very Easy Language. (I needed the V.E.L. myself to begin with, so no problem). This is just for setting up the newspapers, not for other calibre use.
    1) Download calibre (do a google) and install. To do so you will need the Kindle e-mail for your Kindle. Get it from Home/Menu/Settings page 2. BUT: if you have wifi access add not the e-mail given on your kindle (theogriff@kindle.com) but the free wifi e-mail (theogriff@free.kindle.com). Documents e-mailed to the Kindle get charged on 3G, but with the free e-mail get sent for free via wifi.
    It will give you a chance to test the e-mail. If you are lucky it will work. On my 3 machines, 2 don't work (due to Firewall). Doesn't much matter however, see below. Plug your kindle into the computer with your USB lead so that calibre knows that you have a kindle and which one it is. You don't have to leave it in, so once it has read the books on your kindle (there is an extra column with them), you can then click Device on the menu bar, and Eject this device. NB you don't see Device on the menu unless you actually have your kindle plugged in.
    2) In menu bar Preferences, click Common Options (a brown square) then Page Setup, then Output; select Kindle.
    You can ignore the rest.
    3) Now from the menu bar click Fetch News, then Schedule News Download. Go down the list and click on a language and country you fancy - English UK, or Korean, or Serbian, or whatever.
    From the list of papers available in that country, select one. (NB Times is a pay by subscription, but most are free).
    4) Now set up a download. There is now a window next to your chosen news source. Click the tickbox for Schedule. Click the button next to Every day and set a time - it's GMT I suppose. Click save. You can after this then click the Download now bar, to get immediately whatever you have chosen, and see what it's like. It can take up to 7 or 8 minutes for some papers - you will see calibre's little whirring circle in bottom RH of screen as it works away on the job. Clogs up your RAM so that's why it's good to do it in middle of night.
    5) Repeat for any other paper you fancy having too. Good for language learning to have one foreign one. I am afraid that Hullo! magazine is not yet available in English or in Spanish.
    6) If you're lucky you get it e-mailed straight to your kindle, IF your calibre is open (even minimized) AND your machine is not asleep AND the e-mail works through your firewall. I get the download to happen at 5 am, but my netbook sleeps itself, and my desktops won't e-mail, so this is frustrating but not a problem for me as I have alternative . . .
    So all I do first thing is plug the USB lead (left permanently dangling from computer - I bought a spare) into the desktop. It immediately recognises the kindle, calibre has already downloaded the news onto the hard disk at 5 am, and so puts it onto the kindle in about 3 minutes.
    Faster than the kettle.
    Hope this helps!
    P.S. To read the paper, when you open it on your kindle you get an article. Well, obviously! But at bottom of screen it also says
    <Previous article View Section List Next article>
    Five-way controller works here. Click left for previous article (not if it's the 1st one . . .), click right for next article (if it's about the International Monetary Fund or Wayne Rooney - or Cheryl Cole) and click centre to get the section list.
    This gives you for most newspapers sections (News; International; Sport; Magazine, etc) plus a number. If you click eg News you'll get the first article there, use next page to read the rest of it, click right to go to next article. If from the sections screen you click on the number, you'll get a list of the articles in that section with a brief summary. Usually the list goes over several pages so you will need to do Next Page. Click on an article to select and open it, then Next Page to continue reading it.
    You get used to it pretty fast. More pictures than the bought ones (which have none) although the actual number depends on the newspaper itself. Mail has masses, so if there's an interesting article in one paper (Indy mentioned the height of that Arab sheikh's wife, no photo) you can sometimes go to Mail, look down their article list, and find an article that does have a photo. You don't actually have to read the article in the Mail.
    Happy Kindling to you all!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

So I have my kindle (already love it!) it's 3G. Will I get the newspapers when I'm away from home (say holiday) when the home computer is off? It does look like the e-mail will work.
    Also isn't it time the kindle had it's own section or got stickied to the top of book club? I've just got so many kindle threads in my favourites and I still can't find the info I remember reading.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No!
    But you can always take out a Free Trial from Amazon of a paper for 2 weeks . . .

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I have shared your instructions with my colleagues today - I love getting a paper every day and actually reading it rather than recycling it days later!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And up again

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here's today's offer from the Junglr Search daily e-mails - all free books! (If you see this later on, they may not all be free any more - Amazon tends to make some of these very short-lived offers).
    Prices & availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated above, and are subject to change. Any price displayed on the Amazon.co.uk website at the time of purchase will govern the sale of the product.

<table id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228641"><tr id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228639"><td>[​IMG]</td><td id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228638">Lot's Return to Sodom: A Liv Bergen Mystery ~ Sandra Brannan
    </td></tr><tr id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228648"><td>[​IMG]</td><td id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228647">Concrete Underground ~ Moxie Mezcal
    </td></tr><tr id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228653"><td>[​IMG]</td><td id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228652">Project Cyclops ~ Thomas Hoover
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>In Her Name: Empire ~ Michael R. Hicks
    </td></tr><tr id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228658"><td>[​IMG]</td><td id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228657">Ain't No Sunshine ~ Leslie DuBois
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Are You Positive? ~ Stephen Davis
    </td></tr><tr id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228688"><td>[​IMG]</td><td id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228687">In Odder Words ~ Aron Christensen
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Out From Edom: Book I of th e Irredente Chronicles ~ J. Patrick Sutton
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Expelled (Roger Ward Trilogy) ~ Clayton Spann
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>The Thorn (The Chronicles of Gan) ~ Daron Fraley
    </td></tr><tr id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228693"><td>[​IMG]</td><td id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228692">Off the Chain Sampler ~ Euftis Emery
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Pontchartrain ~ Eric Wilder
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>The Life and Death of Bayou Billy ~ C.L. Bevill
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Shatterboy ~ Scott William Carter
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>The Love Machine: The Erobotica Series - Novella One ~ Robyn McCoy
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Young Lord of Khadora (Forgotten Legacy #1) ~ Richard S. Tuttle
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Re:union (Science Fiction eBook Short Story for Kindle) ~ Eric Liu
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Hard Creek Bridge: a short story ~ Isaac Sweeney
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Test Pilot - A short story ~ John H. Carroll
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>The Power of PAO:How To Go From Victim of Circumstance to Master of Your Destiny ~ Joe Champion
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Voodoo Cloud ~ Mathew Ferguson
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>The Fetish Deluxe Sampler ((Fetish Deluxe)) ~ Edited by An ne Onimus
    </td></tr><tr id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228698"><td>[​IMG]</td><td id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228697">The Butterfly Effect ~ Scott Semegran
    </td></tr><tr id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228703"><td>[​IMG]</td><td id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228702">Stealing Flowers ~ Edward St Amant
    </td></tr><tr id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228708"><td>[​IMG]</td><td id="yui_3_2_0_1_13103271518228707">Zen Culture ~ Thomas Hoover
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>The Visit ~ William Butler
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>The Chambliss Tapes ~ Donald Capone
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>The Complete Guide to the Year's Best Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Volumes (Blue Tyson's SF Guides) ~ Blue Tyson
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Gifts With No Giver: A Love Affair With Truth ~ Nirmala
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Mobile Marketing Playbook ~ 360i
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>The Civic Potential of Video Games (John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Reports on Digital Media and Learning) ~ Joseph Kahne
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>THE PROPHET OF MERCY MUHAMMAD, Scenes From His Life (Prophet Muhammad) ~ Osman Nuri Topbas
    </td></tr></table>

To view all free Kindle titles from Amazon.co.uk, Click Here_____________________________________________________________
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

9. If you are looking for a simple alternative there is also the option to use http://webtoread.com website.
    I signed up recently for free, and since few months now, I do receive daily newspapers and magazines of my choice straight to my Kindle.
    Enjoy your reading :)

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you sebtiomar for suggesting webtoread.com
    But . . .
    As I have said before . . .
    But it's a subscription service. Requires no configuration, just a credit card!
    No more need to spend your money buying paper-based magazines, or to purchase costly subscriptions from Amazon

? No more waste as newspapers and magazines end up in the bin.

? One price package for unlimitted subscriptions to magazines and newspapers

So you get to pay . . . .
    My suggestion above is for Calibre, for free!
    Best wishes

11. Dear TheoGriff,

You are perfectly right to adjust my comment.

On http://webtoread.com for unlimited subscription, they request 3.95 Usd per month.
    but if you subscribe to only one newspaper (this is my case) it's totally free.

I was using Calibre (fantastic tool) , and moved to this solution for 3 reasons :
    - No need to keep my computer on (not my first thought in the morning).
    - No need for Calibre to be on my computer running in the back-ground.
    - No need to be home to get my newspaper.

To correct my first comment, I would say :
    For one newspaper delivered free daily on your Kindle, http://webtoread.com is a good alternative.

Best wishes

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump

Best wishes