1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Get a new Apple credit card ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

.. just don't put it in your pocket, wallet, swipe it, wipe it, or put it on a hard surface.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/aug/22/apple-card-wallet-pocket-warning

What is it? A piece of art?

Perhaps thier blurb should have been; "“Apple Card completely <unthinks> everything about the credit card. It represents all the things Apple stands for. Like simplicity, transparency, and privacy,” Guffaw!!!!

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Another way to take money of the Apple followers .

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Just use your watch to pay.

4. Ivartheboneless

How would my watch do that? It isn't a Rolex I can barter with, and not many shops in this country do bartering! (Except for the proliferation of pawn shops! One in every high street. We have one, just nowhere to buy food unless you count over ten takeaways!)

5. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

They forgot to add that it's incompatible with any other sort of payment system, that it'll only last a year before becoming totally obsolete, that if it doesn't work, then you're "holding it wrong", and that you'll need a ridiculously expensive fiddly adapter for when the next version comes out.

nomad likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

7. Ivartheboneless

Who wants an Apple watch? There is a clue in the name "watch"; it tells the time. And my eyesight barely lets me do that! There should be a "cr" in front of apple. How does the idiot public fall for this nonsense? Everything they do is another version of "the emperor's new clothes"!

nomad likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I find my iMac and iPad infinitely preferable to Windows devices. But I don't have an iPhone. Why? It's a 'phone. I have an iPad so I don't need my mobile to do anything but take and make calls. Plus who can see what's on the tiny screen?

As for watches? You're alright. I am happy with my conventional timepieces.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've often wondered why a chip couldn't just be embedded in a ring for shipping purposes...

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Shopping.

I blame my phone

11. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I did wonder what you were talking about.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  12. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

It didn’t even cross my mind to be a typo. I assumed it was one of yourI sc-fi, other-worlds literary allusions;)

13. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The only Apple product I ever seriously considered was the Apple II. I very quickly decided I didn't like the way that Apple did business.

This guy is in New York and has a shop illegitimately (from Apple's perspective) repairing Apple products. As he says he couldn't do what he does if he was an Authorised repair shop.

EmanuelShadrack and lanokia like this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well "shipping" is a thing...

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah not a big fan of their methods. Never owned one of their products and they'd have to work pretty hard to get that to change.

irs1054 likes this.
  16. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

One of the associates of the person I linked to does repairs on iPhones, particularly recovering data on damaged phones. She quotes (I think) a 90% success.

One couple had 8000 photos on their iPhone that they had not backed up when the phone fell in a lake. They were told by Apple that their photos were gone. They sent the phone to this repairer who successfully recovered their photos.(story on YouTube)
    This lady was invited (by Apple) to comment on their repair forums. When she corrected Apple concerning recovering data, she was banned.

They want the business but they care nothing for their customers.

17. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Good old Louis. He's brilliant. I've watched quite a few of his videos.

Rick Beato has some fairly strong views on Apple too:

18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I use my Apple Watch for payments, telling the time, texts, emails, internet, weather, music, tracking exercise, heart rate, steps, news, phone, photos, music, camera, linking with my car, stop watch, timer, alarm, ........

19. Ivartheboneless

You'll be stuffed if you lose that then ....

nizebaby likes this.