1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

German trips - what ones do you do?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by marmot.morveux, Jul 24, 2010.

1. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I've just come back from Paris with a group of mainly year 8s and am thinking about organising a trip to Germany next year.

I felt the Paris trip was easy to sell to the pupils because of Disney, the Eiffel tower, the Mona Lisa, the stade de France - loads of things the pupils could easily relate to.

I'm thinking it would be nice during a German trip to take in a car factory tour, a theme park, somewhere historic. I can't help thinking though that there will be less pupils interested in this trip because of the lack of a big ticket attraction like Disney or am I just being cynical?! I'm also looking for somewhere that doesn't take ages to get to - which is why I was thinking about the Cologne area. Has anyone got any suggestions?

I forgot to say, I'm trying to avoid stepping on the History dept's toes with a trip to Berlin so I'm looking for somewhere different although potentially I could do a cross-curricular venture with them. I was also potentially thinking about links with either the Geography or Technology departments.

Thanking you in advance.
    MM

2. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

If you are particularly thinking of the Cologne area, then Phantasialand is nearby. Not sure if you can visit the Ford Cologne factory, but there are other suggestions here
    http://www.magicaljourneys.com/Germany/germany-interest-northrhinewestphalia-cologne-discover.html
    I don't actually include a visit to a theme park on our German trips, we usually do a castle visit, a river cruise (Rhine or Mosel), a visit to a vineyard, some shopping opportunity in a small town, and a visit to a swimming pool (outdoor if weather good, otherwise indoor). Pupils are always amazed at how beautiful the country is - they obviously have their own preconceptions!
    C

3. I did a trip to Munich in March - flying with easyjet. We visited:
    Allianz Arena
    Fernsehturm
    BMW museum (fantastic - they all loved it)
    English Garden (played football)
    Botanical Garden - butterfly exhibition
    Nymphenburg
    we did a walking tour of Munich with a guide
    lunch in the market
    and on Sat we went to Neuschwanstein by train - full day
    we only used the public transport and stayed in a youth hostel
    It was great - 4 1/2 day. I was exhausted! Left Wed evening back Sun evening. I did it to replace the exchange but next year the exchange is going ahead.

4. Can I ask you how many kids did you take with you and what was the cost per pupil for your trip?

5. we took 17 pupils and charged £300.

6. we had breakfast and dinner in the hostel and pupils had to buy their own lunch - at the market, in the English garden and in Fussen. The last day we had lunch at the restaurant at the bottom of the Olympic tower.

7. The chocolate factory in Cologne is a big hit with the kids.

8. tub

tub New commenter

Hi

You cannot visit the Ford factory in Cologne unless your students are 16 or over. They will not accept pupils under 16.

The football stadium is quite good - Rhein-Energie-Stadion.

In December you can visit the Christmas market.

9. marmot.morveux

Thank you for all of your suggestions. [​IMG]

I'm definitely thinking about a July trip, so a Christmas market is not an option.

10. Hello,
    What about Salzburg (Austria). Austria is German speaking and there is an amazing castle there (which includes some guns and battle history). I went last year and will never forget it. Salzburg may take a while to get to - unless you go by plane (this however, may add to the cost considerably). Salzburg does have its own airport, so the transfer won't take much time.
    TESbenone5

11. I take a trip to Cochem using Wyvern Tours who are excellent. We visit the Castle in Cochem and do a boat trip and then go to Cologne and visit the chocolate museum and also do Phantasialand. The pupils loved the trip and it was all in (coach travel, all food, all trips) for £325. This also included a 1hr language lesson every morning taught by local teachers. Let me know if you would like any more details.

12. Hi,
    you can also use the South West like Baden-Württemberg.

- Park: Europapark - http://www.europapark.de/lang-en/Vorschaltseite/c1548.html
    is in the Area fo Freiburg and the biggest in Germany.
    - Geopgraphy / Geology / lots of Nature ;-) : the Black Forrest or the Schwäbische Alb
    - History: perhaps Burg Hohenzollern (thier is the Crown of the Prussian Kings stored) http://www.preussen.de/en/today/burg_hohenzollern.html
    In the nearby town Hechingen their is as well a rebuild Roman Villa http://www.villa-rustica.de/
    - Cars: Mercedes-Benz in Stuttgart and their is the Mercedes-Benz Museum too, and of course Prosche is in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen....
    So you colud do a lot of things in the South West.
    Mini Ben

13. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

Where did you go in the end?

14. marmot.morveux

I didn't! I've been putting out feelers to the pupils as to what they want - the problem is, it always feels like we're in competition with the rest of the school! ...unfortunately...as we've organised 2 visits in the last two years who've had next to no takers (a lot of our pupils go on the expensive ski trip) , I'm very wary about organising anything too risky - I quite like cheaper, high-impact visits such as Boulogne and Lille Christmas market.

15. marmot.morveux

Where are my manners?! Thank you so much for all of your suggestions!

16. mrfabs

mrfabs New commenter

I was in Lille last week to visit some accommodations for school groups.
    There was everything for all kind of budget but they are starting to get loads of enquiries for availability during the Christmas market. PM me if you want more info.

17. We did our first trip to the Aachen Christmas market last year (lots of companies do this). We kept the price down b travelling by coach overnight there, spending all day at the market then travelling all night home again. We took 44 pupils fir just under £100 each. This was very popular. This year we're going to the Cologne markets instead we can can include a visit to the cathedral, the chocolate museum, a boat trip and an overnight stay. This works out at just over £160 each.
    Does anyone have any experience of taking pupils to the Black Forest?

18. Hate to say this - you can't possibly be thinking of organising a trip now, with the new union directives?????
    We're just approaching completion of our Boppard trip (leaving 14th October) and will be doing Cologne Catherdral, chocolate muserum, Olympic museum, Rhein boat trip, Marksburg Castle, Seilbahn trip, vineyard and tasting...
    Back on the 18th. I've been asked whether I'll plan one for next year. Absolutelly NO WAY with the current political union climate.
    Sorry about lack of paragraphing, Chrome is playing silly b*ggers. But back to Union issues - am I the only one thinking this? Have also told my 2nd i/c French not to plan a trip to Paris next year. No way....

19. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Surely striking and other actions are down to individual choice?

20. You can make your own choices, but fundamentally I'm in this job for the kids and I make my own decisions as to what I think is reasonable for me to do. I organise three visits each year, two to Germany and one to France, all very well received by the kids and accompanying staff. I can't ever envisage not running these trips as they can be life-changing experiences for the kids (and staff). I have two colleagues who accompany me on most German visits who had certain preconceptions a few years back about the country and its people. They both now rate it as their favourite country on the planet and both have some really good friends there. Loads of the kids rate the visits as the highlight of their school years. Why should they miss out?
    Sorry if that sounds really mean - it isn't meant to. I can appreciate why some may think twice about running any visit and they are hardly easy to run and organise but for me, the benefits of kids visiting France and Germany far outweigh any political message that any union may wish for me to follow.