1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

German Reading exam on Monday

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sommersprossen, Jun 25, 2011.

1. I have a revision session just before the exam. I was going to do a past paper and talk about technique. Does anyone have another other ideas? Last minute vocab work - topics? Cheers.

2. HMM

HMM

It's such a shame that this exam is so late; GCSE pupils have "peaked" a long time ago and are totally bored with revision. It would have been better, in my humble opionion, if both the Reading and Listening had been last Monday.
    So, sorry not much advice for last minute revision session except the obvious techniques of cognates / synonyms / looking for language clues like capital letters for nouns , use of kein/nur/ohne etc
    Hope everything works out OK on results day!

3. Here Here!
    The A2 German was yesterday afternoon! And most of the questions were on the environment which I did last September and October!

4. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

If it helps, I had a dream that 'pleite' would be in the exam! [​IMG]

5. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

6. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

And it's the same again next year. AQA's provisional timetable puts Germ3 on the afternoon of Friday, 15 June. My advice to students this year was to do the essay first, then the reading, and finally the listening. Considering the allocation of marks and the way UMS works, I did not want them working through a paper and doing an essay an hour and a half into a two and a half hour paper.
    At least with Fren3, it's on a morning - but late again: 19 June.

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Devil's advocate here [​IMG]: do students deserve their GCSE/A-level grade if they would be unable to achieve it more than 3-4 weeks after finishing the course? I would hope that my students would achieve the same whether they took the exam mid-May or mid-June... If anything, this year I was worried that the French GCSE was so early on, they wouldn't have as much time for last-minute revision cramming.

8. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

In the world away from education, I'd agree with you. We've done our job and it's up to them to do theirs in the exam. If they've wasted the time they've had on study leave, that should be their look-out. However, in the world of education where we're held accountable for every grade it's a different matter.