1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

German police check?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by ProfSeverus, Feb 3, 2016.

1. ProfSeverus

ProfSeverus New commenter

Hi,
    I've been told that in order to get on to a teacher training course, a British DSB check will not be enough. As I did my year abroad largely in Germany, I have to apply for a German police check. I've got the form and looked at all the links online. One thing I want to ask others who had to do this - do you have to post your passport to Bonn, would a photocopy be enough, or do you not have to send your passport at all? The advice is a bit confusing and I wanted to see if anyone else had had to do this recently.
    Thank you!

2. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

This sounds very odd.

How recent was your year abroad?

I did my year abroad 2008-9 and my PGCE 2012-13. In 2011-12 I was working as a cover supervisor in schools via an agency and had a DBS check. At no point was it suggested that I needed any additional checks to cover my year abroad.

3. ProfSeverus

Hi

My year abroad was '10-'11. I currently have numerous DSBs although I have to pay for a new one for teacher training. They say if you have lived in another country for more than 6 months then you need clearance on that too. Although all the advice online is pretty vague. I don't really want to post off my passport to Germany!

Thanks for the reply!

4. MH91

MH91 New commenter

I'm having the same problem! Do you definitely have to include your time abroad? I went to two different countries on my year abroad, so it's going to cost me about £81 altogether for the DBS and two checks!! That's not including having to potentially post my passport off to Bonn...

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

6. ProfSeverus

Hi MH91.

I will only be able to comment on Germany but I have got my check through now. It is quite complicated as you do not send off your passport but you do have to get a German official to check your passport is correct in person (which you have to pay them about £15 to do) and then you send this check off to Bonn along with the form which is online (plus the additional payment for Bonn).
    These German officials are based in major UK cities. I will find my information if you need any more. Viel Glueck!