1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

German lunchtime club - primary

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Gemtastic, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hi alll,

I'm hoping for your advice and to pick a few brains, is possible.

I've been teaching German to Y3&4 for two years now, and this year have started a German club for 15 pupils. We're covering things like storytelling, writing our own and narrating them to put on the Learning Platform etc. I'm keen for this to be a chance to get more 'extended' pieces of work covered over a longer period of time, rather than just another exercise in filling worksheets in.

I wonder if anyone else could suggest any good ideas for 30 mins per week?

Danke!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just one idea, if you provided a basic scaffold, could they make up their own version of a Grimm's fairy tale? (Notice the cultural link there?) A basic outline of one of the stories with 'blank' spaces for themto add their own variations. Could then make up a small play and act it out. Make puppets or dress up themselves with props? This could take nearly half a term.

3. Thanks, Lara! They mentioned that today when I asked them what they wanted to do. Good to see others are suggesting it here, too. :) We're covering the QCA (but heavily adapted!) Vier Freunde unit at the moment. I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself at the minute but I would rather have too many ideas than not enough. Like I said though, it's reassuring to see we seem to be on the right lines. :)

4. runaway

runaway New commenter

Eric Carle's Hungry Caterpiller (Die kleine Raupe Nimmersatt) was first written and published in German as he was born and went to school in Germany before moving to the States. It's a fantastic clear and easy stucture to follow and then get the kids to use as a frame and adapt using lots of repetition. Similarly other stories by Eric Carle such as 'Brown Bear What do you see?' are good to use as models.
    On NGFL you can find German versions of fairy tales but also some Aesops fables too - are they any help?
    Hansel & Gretel has lots of versions and my kids have absolutely adored the somewhat anarchic 'plop up' version of 'Vom kleinen Maulwurf, der wissen wollte wer ihm auf den Kopf gemacht hatte.' - you can see the whole story animated version on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBe1KgrRYmU but honestly the 'plop up' book is a complete favourite particularly among the boys...