1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

German food stores

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Oct 12, 2019.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've just been to the nearest local one and bought an enormous amount of stuff for £45, including a bottle of rum( need it for Stollen and rum truffles). Will they still be allowed to trade here if Brexit goes through?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm sure they'll be allowed to trade, though it may take a while to sort out the paperwork for import / export duties. However I suspect the bigger problem will be the inevitable higher prices we may have to pay, whether it will still be viable to trade.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Are you talking Aldi and Lidl?

I've no idea about their paperwork and import/export duties, but they're massive players in this country and I doubt they'll be shutting up shop anytime soon.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I was presuming lapinrose meant independent German shops, rather than those 'big players', who I doubt will be leaving us anytime soon. They certainly attract lots of business where I live.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I did mean Aldi and Lidl, going back to Lidl today to get a goose, a duck and some more fresh anchovies.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Of course they will.
    Sorry Lapin but utter nonsense to suggest they won't.
    Project Fear strikes again.
    I love Aldi and Lidl!
    As for higher prices............I doubt it. We will trsde with EU countries in a fair and transparent way. Hiking up duties either way will be counter productive so (hopefully) common sense will prevail.