1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

German film for Year 9

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sim123, Jul 3, 2011.

1. We are planning a media unit for Year 9 and would like to do a film project.
    Can anyone suggest any suitable German films please ?

2. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

With Year 9, we have been watching episodes from the Teacher's TV soap opera 'Extra'. We thought a full film might be a bit too ambitious. Quite a lot of Teacher's Tv stuff has been adopted by TES when Teacher's TV ceased to exist. Might be worth checking out.

3. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

it's not deep but the kids love it- die wilden Kerle.

4. Thanks for the suggestions. We are definitely looking for a film rather than TV prog.
    Any other suggestions gratefully received

5. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Das Wunder von Bern always goes down well with that age group, I find. There are some useful resources on it here: http://www.irishfilm.ie/educ/index7_07_e.asp which can be adapted depending on the ability level of your group.

6. Herefordian

Herefordian New commenter

Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage is very good - a little heavy but is good for making pupils realise that not everyone in Germany between 1933-45 was a Nazi.
    Certificate PG - won many awards

7. But I think the Sophie Scholl one is too heavy for Y9. I think many would have huge problems coping with it. I would rather go for Das Wunder von Bern. They can research on the internet what really happened before they watch the film.

8. Lola rennt....some swearing

9. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

And it's a 15.......

10. Are you watching the second one or the first one? Because I cannot find the first one with English subtitles.

11. whapbapboogy

second one. Third one has subtitles, too. I bought the box set and the first one doesn't have subtitles.

12. whapbapboogy

Having thought about it, I think das Wunder von Bern is your best choice- it has a lot more in it. You could do die wilden Kerle 2 as a frivolous 2 lesson thing.