1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

German film for year 10

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by wp72, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Any ideas of a contemporary German suitable to show to a year 10 group? I had been told that "Keinohrhasen" is good, but when I watched it I saw a rapid end to my career if I showed it to a group of 14-15 year olds despite the supposed 12 certificate!!!!

Hope someone can help...

2. Any ideas of a contemporary German suitable to show to a year 10 group? I had been told that "Keinohrhasen" is good, but when I watched it I saw a rapid end to my career if I showed it to a group of 14-15 year olds despite the supposed 12 certificate!!!!

Hope someone can help...

3. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

Set post-war, but works quite well with yr 9 and yr 10 is "Das Wunder von Bern". Boys like it because it tells the story of Germany winning the football World Cup but it also covers the issue of a family struggling to reintegrate a father who has returned after years of fighting/imprisonment on the Eastern Front. Not difficult to watch and no career-threatening episodes. Rated PG.

4. Yeah, das Wunder von Bern is great, and if needed, it exists in a dubbed version in English.
    Also recommendable: Das fliegende Klassenzimmer (several versions, the most modern one from 2003),
    Das doppelte Lottchen, or the modern version Charlie und Louise, which is especially interesting as parts of it are set in Scotland and you could talk about stereotypes Germans have of the British/Great Britain (it rains A LOT in that film, but not in Vienna or Hamburg ;-)). They might also know the story, as it has been filmed about a trillion times (last one with Lindsay Lohan, I think)
    Pünktchen und Anton, the modern version with Meret Becker is great :)
    Wickie, but that one's only really funny if you know the animated series
    Die Welle might also be interesting, but it's quite depressing, so you should only use it if all the pupils are able to cope.

If you are looking for something that's quite short, you could try series such as "Türkisch für Anfänger", which is about the culture clash two teenagers experience when their mother's Turkish boyfriend moves in with his two children.

5. Many thanks to all for these suggestions so far. Will check them out.

6. The only thing about the Kaestner films is that I have been unable to find a version with subtitles. Has anyone?
    I agree about certificates. I have been doing Crazy with my year 13s and the film that goes with it is a 12- not something you would show though to lower school or ideed anyone under 18 l!!!! it was however set for EDEXCEL topics and texts.
    I would recommend Lola rennt for year 10. There are some really good notes about it on the Irish film institute site Also The Edukators and Goodbye Lenin.
    I teach boys and the younger ones really liked Wunder von Bern, a film called \North Face about mountain climbing in the 30s! and I also show Night Crossing which is in English about escape from East Germany.

7. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Part-timer: Thanks for mentioning the Irish Film Institute site. There's some great stuff on there!

8. 'Die Welle' I really enjoyed it and I have copied and pasted its synopsis.Don't know age certificate though.

A high school teacher's unusual experiment to demonstrate to his
    students what life is like under a dictatorship spins horribly out of
    control when he forms a social unit with a life of its own.

9. I didn't suggest Die Wilden Kerle because the language is... let's say not very polite ;-). But I like it, too.
    Hm, I don't know if you can get the Kaestner films with English subtitles. The ones i have are subtitled in German but I suppose that doesn't make it much easier...
    Die Welle is FSK 12.

10. please learn to use apostrophes

11. Thanks for some brilliant suggestions. Tuerkisch fuer Anfaenger particularly interesting .