1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

George's Marvellous Medicine

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tpt51, Feb 22, 2011.

1. tpt51

tpt51 New commenter

This is going to be our class book next half term. Can anyone suggest some different activities that they have done with this text? Thanks.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

If you Google 'George's Marvellous Medicine resources' you'll get an abundance of sites to go to.

3. sarahmilly

sarahmilly New commenter

Hi,
    I've just used this with my Year 1 class. We based our instruction writing on it... We ended up planning and writing our own marvellous medicines.
    The children also followed instructions using powder paint, coloured liquids, bath bombs and gelli baff... good fun!
    We watched Rik Mayall read it on youtube too... not a good recording but great to watch all the same!
    Have fun, I love this book!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've just read this book with my little boy aged 5. He loved it but I ... well I'm not sure.
    Roald Dahl creates some interesting characters but in this book - well basically George creates a medicine using a whole range of ingredients including pharmaceuticals, paint and antifreeze. Outcome - well basically his Grandma dies. I know you can tell the class not to play with chemicals but it's a pretty horrible ending.
    Read Matilda - the teacher is physically and mentally abused when young, Matilda is treated like dirt by her parents, the head abuses the children and at the end, Matilda leaves her parents and they don't care.
    I'm trying not be a killjoy because I like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but some of his books just leave me a bit uncomfortable.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

if you pm with your email addey me i think i have a online version of georges marvellous medcine...its not my work but written by another teacher mainly for sen kids, but with lots of grammer and exercises based on the text which you can read together on screen.
    My low ability yr3 loved the ability to read it together.