1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

George Osborne will abolish pension perk in tax bombshell, claims former minister

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by FrankWolley, Feb 21, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

2. plot71

plot71 New commenter

Might try to get the Easter retirement in now, certainly will for September now.

FrankWolley likes this.
  3. Odyssey4

Odyssey4 New commenter

4. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

This refers to defined benefit schemes

5. Odyssey4

Odyssey4 New commenter

Thank you for clarifying this.

6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I read a short article in the Times today about this issue. It did suggest that this would not be retrospective. It would apply to future contributory benefits.

Do I trust George Osborne? No.

7. plot71

plot71 New commenter

Higher rate tax payers will almost certainly loose their tax benefit from futting money into a pension plan and therefore not claim that differential back when retired and on standard rate tax. This apparently is not likely to be retrospective - too much at stake there. However, with the pensionable lump sum up for grabs .............. how probable might this be?

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

The history of the budgets under the illegitimate Osborne is one of disinformation and scaremongering in the lead up, followed by being hit with something else on budget day. I sincerely hope that this is one of those occasions. So we all get to think we are going to be shafted by something which either turns out to be less nasty (but still nasty) or something different.

9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm hoping he'll do a U-turn on the pension age for women. Please, please let him bring it down from 66.

10. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

As predicted. Unless in the chaos after IDS he does a u turn.