1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

George Martin - a sad loss

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Mar 9, 2016.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Seems all I hear on the radio this morning is that he produced the Beatles' records.

However, for me George Martin stood tall as a composer in his own right, although difficult to pinpoint as he often used pseudonyms for his film themes such as Lezlo Anales and John Chisholm before settling on Graham Fisher as his primary pseudonym.

Those of an age (like me) will remember his fantastic 'Theme One', composed as the opening theme for the new Radio One in the days before 24 hour broadcasting. I even used to set my alarm clock so I could wake up to hear it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The Beatles' music will survive as long as music does - it's already 46 years since they disbanded. That it will is, in no small part, thanks to George Martin. A fantastic legacy...

Dragonlady30 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Yes, I agree with you about his own compositions. He was a very talented composer.

4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Gifted man. If you want confirmation of his discretion, taste and excellence as a producer, listen to what Phil Spector did to the Beatles when he got his vulgar, over-orchestrating, pompous hands on their music.

Dragonlady30 and George_Randle like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Those introductions. He had you right there. I had forgotten just how good those singles were. Amazing.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I was listening to the tribute to him on the Today programme this morning, where it was mentioned that George Martin wrote the orchestral score for Eleanor Rigby.

In my view, it would have been an entirely different song without the orchestral arrangement and possibly one of the least, rather than most memorable Beatles songs, yet his name isn't credited as a composer for that song, or indeed any of the other songs attributed to Lennon and McCartney.

cissy3 and nomad like this.
  7. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

I think that he was a real gentleman. To be honest I didn't know he was still alive.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Interesting letter in today's Telegraph.

SIR – Among the many admirable characteristics of the late Sir George Martin was his wry sense of humour.

One example of this was the design for his coat of arms. While this art form can be pompous and often rather worthy, his contribution is entirely composed of witty visual jokes. These include a house martin toting a golden recorder and a fitting motto, Amore Solum Opus Est (“All You Need is Love”). One allusion, however, is strange: there are only three beetles on the shield. Who missed the cut?

[​IMG]

Nicholas Hay
    Bristol

9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Thanks for posting that nomad, a really interesting article.
    So, which Beatle did get the cut then? I'd say Ringo if pushed but I'm not sure really.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Maybe the beetles refer to the three distinct phases the Beatles went through.

From this
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]
    To this
    [​IMG]

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I did wonder whether it was John Lennon, on the guess that there were only three Beatles alive when George Martin was granted his coat of arms. However, this happened in 2004, some three years after George Harrison had also died.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Obviously it was Paul who was missed out because everyone knows he died years ago-bare footed on the Abbey Road zebra crossing!! ;)

Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.