1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

George Formby puts things into perspective

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Despite the illustrious ancestry and the whopping todger, Mr Wu's just a window cleaner now.

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Perspective you say . . . is here a vanishing point?

Duke of York likes this.
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Formby's songs were replete with social comment of the time. That's what people today don't see. Behind that silly voice and the buck-teeth there lies a great entertainer and a highly proficient musician. Can you perform the Formby split-stroke on the banjolele? Very few people can. In spite of my extreme proficiency on the prima balalaika, I can't. Maybe I should rework some of Formby's songs as current social comment. They would not get posted here, I can guarantee that. We should take heed of the past. Modern history, especially that from the two world wars of last century, but so many seem hell-bent on our repeating those mistakes, although in another context.

Don't knock Formby unless you truly understand Formby. I can tell you one thing, this time it won't turn out nice again.

Frank Skinner modernises Formby, but I can't post it here due to his use of expletives. Look him up on YouTube and his song on that tall Saudi guy with a beard who lived in a cave.

WaylonWu likes this.
  4. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

I doubt there is any relation to my family.

5. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

The Balalaika is played beautifully in Dr Zhivago.

6. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Mr Wu has had a laundry business, been a window cleaner and also an air-raid warden. I think it's time to bring Mr Wu's exploits up to date for modern Britain, possibly with a change of name to reflect the current situation.