1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

geograpy pgce starting september....

Discussion in 'Geography' started by mia1985, Feb 20, 2011.

1. i have recently been accepted on a pgce course in spetember :) but with the new govt they have cut the bursary so i am very worried about money. is it possible to balance workload with a weekend job or are you entitled to a student loan from the student loans company because without the bursary i will struggle financially.

2. The bursary of £600-odd per month is my living! Without it I would find funding my PGCE tough going as I came onto the course straight from uni (so had no prior earnings to support me). You are eligible for a student maintenance loan and a fee loan too and potentially the same grants and university bursaries you were entitled to as an undergrad. As for a job? I couldn't have done it. If you want an afternoon off of a weekend, in addition to essays, reports, planning and marking, you won't have time for work.