1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography topic teaching help please

Discussion in 'Geography' started by callum97, Jul 3, 2012.

1. I teach year 6 and need a geography theme for my next topic teaching. Does anyone have a good country or theme which is geography based and they know it is successful? I need to link in the foundation subjects and some of the core. Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated :)

2. I teach year 6 and need a geography theme for my next topic teaching. Does anyone have a good country or theme which is geography based and they know it is successful? I need to link in the foundation subjects and some of the core. Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated :)

3. When is the new topic happening? If it's now or September, what about something on the Olympics - there's plenty of mileage in this yet!
    If you get stuck, give me a shout - I've just done a Y7 sow on the 2012 games....

4. Good countries to do are China/India/USA/Brazil - all big countries with human and physical features and interesting cultures.

Alternatively - the 7 wonders of the world could be a good one for year 6's, I've done it with year 7's and they loved it.

Personally, I wouldn't do the Olympics, I think its been done to death in schools in the build up and its not like they won't see it everywhere over the next few weeks anyway - Hope this helps!

5. empea

empea New commenter

Hey running_wild! You mentioned India as a good country for geography - I'm teaching a themed unit on India that should incorporate Science (habitats) and D+T, but I am really struggling with generating ideas. I just wondered if you had experience with India or you had any suggestions for where to look for ideas?

One of the main things we are struggling with is a launch idea (a hook to get the children interested in the topic)

I would really appreciate some ideas to get me started on where to look!

Many thanks!