1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography - Teaching with a Superhero theme!

Discussion in 'Geography' started by mike_w2001, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Morning all,
    I was wondering if anybody could give me a bit of help. I've been challenged to come up with ideas for teaching geography to a year 5 class. We are currently focussing on a 'superhero' theme and I wondered if anybody could suggest some exciting, creative ideas for lessons?!
    Thanks!

2. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Hi
    Off the top of my head - superman flies to some amazing places - over Metropolis and to Nigagra, where by my poor recollections he rescues Lois Lane from jumping in. Could you link it with the Tightrope artist, whose name escapes me, who walked over Nigagra - could get geography of waterfalls in as well as the moral question of which one was the real superhero??
    I'm afraid all my superheros would be from the 1980s films I was watching as a child, but it was my little brother that was really watching them. An superhero who flies through a landscape might be a good starting point. Oh doesn't Superman also rescue Lois from an earthquake where her car falls into a crack - San Andreas fault? earthquakes (more year 7 normally). Also Superman - isn't his home on earth with the crystals at one of the poles? (surviving in extreme environments - link with explorers to the poles - my 7 year old is off to the Natural History Museum next week to see the exhibtion about Scott)Then in another is based in Silicone Valley? (link with technology, some globalisation - how it the world shrinking - I'm on this with Year 11 at the moment and their homework is to find 10 items of clothing and map where they were manufactured)
    I'd go Superman myself - looks like there could be loads there - get some popcorn looks like you've got some movies to watch one way or another! You can make anything fit - just be creative and dress up!
    Let me know what you decide as it sounds like fun!
    Rebecca

3. Could you take a geographical/environmental issue and choose a superhero to tackle the problem, or get the children to invent their own superhero who could help people solve the problem?
    Getting creative, you could get the children to draw their superhero, make masks/costumes and then act out a scenario, showing the problem and some solutions. Linking it to literacy, you could write a persuasive text or script.
    Or you could hold a debate, with different superheroes suggesting different options.