1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography subject leader- new to role

Discussion in 'Geography' started by kes1978, Jul 23, 2016.

1. kes1978

kes1978 New commenter

Hi,

I'm starting a new job in a new school in September (as a part-time teacher in Reception) and have been told I'll be sharing responsibility for Geography with the teacher I'm sharing the class with. Neither of us has studied Geography since pre-GCSE (about 20 years ago!), nor taught it at all (since we're both EYFS teachers) so I was just wondering if anyone could give us some pointers about what is expected and if there are any good resources/sources we could go to for support. Should also mention that neither of us have had a subject leadership role before!

Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well if you're both new, the first thing to do is an audit. Of Geography skills of your colleagues. Of the current resources / Programmes of Study etc.
    Then you can start thinking about how Geography fits in to the current planning and how you could move it forward. What type of training needs you have.

3. kes1978

kes1978 New commenter

Thanks for your advice - an audit seems like a good place to start. Should imagine it would also highlight any training needs pretty quickly too...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Which is why I always suggest it being the best place to start. Always try to get colleagues onboard and utilise resources already in place and then move on to what you'd like to happen.

5. rainbow26

rainbow26 New commenter

It might helpful to join the Geographical Association and have a look at the Royal Geographical Society website. You can find resources, up to date ideas and CPD information, subject leader info.
    I also found reading this ofsted recommendation quite useful.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/geography-learning-to-make-a-world-of-difference

Don't be put by the fact this is an 'ofsted' recommendation There are some issues with Geography teaching and learning that need to be addressed. It's good to have a wider view.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Find out if your school actually teaches Geography as a subject. Many primaries teach it as part of a topic.

When I led Geography and History I had very little to do.
    Keep staff informed of possible days out and visitors that will fit with their topics.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Agreed, though you will still have a responsibility to ensure the Geography targets are covered.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

Not in many primaries...some don't take a blind bit of notice, some don't even know there is a NC for geography, some take it all very seriously.

In a previous primary I said something to a teacher about the NC requirements (she was in about her 4th/5th year of teaching) and she was stunned that there was any such thing! She genuinely believed there was only a NC for English and maths!

9. Lara mfl 05

o_O Words fail.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

11. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

As a secondary head of Geography, it is really obvious which schools have taught the subject and which haven't. I suggest when you've completed your audit look at the NC as there is a lot of knowledge expected to be taught. I agree about joining the GA, the teaching magazines are very good.

Sadly I think Geography has lost out to History in primary schools as there aren't as many opportunities to dress up or tell stories. Don't try and reinvent the wheel, reuse what you can that was taught before and remember; Geography is a great vehicle for delivering numeracy and literacy. Good luck.