1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography Subject Leader in Primary School

Discussion in 'Geography' started by smallypauly, May 23, 2013.

1. Hello,

We are a one form entry primary school and I am now the Geography subject leader. We have a policy in place already and have identfied topic/resource coverage (or lack of). Can anyone suggest where I ought to go next with this. Head wants me to come up with targets for school improvement plan but as you can see, I'm not 100% confident with where this needs to go next. Currently this is an area that needs developing as most year groups have a heavy history focus or if there is a geography focus it is country/fact based.

Any support will be much appreciated.

2. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I would suggest you look at the New KS1/2 specification that js due to come out and think about what you already do (don't do). Then I would mind map what you'd like to do, what is in your local area/what expertise you can tap in and start to plan from there. My expertise is more ks3/4 so don't have much I can share. I have put level descriptors starting at L3 on the Tes which you could adapt to go down to L1.

3. Join the GA for lots of help on being a subject leader.

4. Miss_CVJS

Miss_CVJS New commenter

How are you getting on? I'm also a new geography leader and looking for some direction. PLease let me know if you have found any good resources to help me set up...

5. I would also recommend having a look at the Geographical Association, A great starting place and their role is to support teachers and the subject. www.geography.org.uk/eyprimary

6. helseywalker

helseywalker New commenter

Thank you all for your support! It is not as easy a task as I first thought. There is a lack of funds in the curriculum budget, so anything I input has to be free basically. I have put in a request for atlases and hoping these could come out of the English/library budget!
    As for joining the GA - it sounds great for ideas and may be something I will consider for the new year, however I would have to personally pay for it and may have to wait until Christmas is done with! I will keep you posted on this.

It is becoming my passion and the thorn in my side.

Thank you!

7. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Don't forget a bit of awe and wonder on your school site, plus wonderful clips on youtube of Planet Earth etc. What's the view from your window? We had to most amazing sunset - made me remind the rest of the staff that Geography is the best subject - with a view like that they couldn't disagree!