1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography - Subject Enhancement Training

Discussion in 'Geography' started by ErnieW, Oct 6, 2017.

1. ErnieW

ErnieW New commenter

Hello Everyone

I am a history teacher, secondary KS3 in an AP school teaching Humanities.

I need to up-skill in Geography , as I can keep my head above water with my low ability students but would like to be able to do this correctly - if that makes sense.

Can anyone recommend any online training - I may be able to get some budget for CPD.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I'm not aware of any online training. I recommend you get whatever textbooks you have in school and read around them. There are some very good books e.g. beginners guide to Earth, volcanoes. Bill Bryson a short history of everything is very good. If they are low ability you just need to be a step ahead of them and know how you're going to get them to any assessment point/what is required for them to show progress.

With low ability students and geography - try to make it as visual as you can: lots of photos, maps, videos. Don't be afraid to get enthusiastic (if you can choose what you do that makes it easier as you can go with what you know or feel comfortable with), if you chunk it down into manageable tasks that they can achieve with, they'll trust you know what you're doing and go with you.

Good luck.

3. ErnieW

ErnieW New commenter

Thank you for the sound advice - which I will gladly take as online looks like a non starter. Thank you again

4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

What about trying to pick up GCSE/A-Level Geography?