1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography Skills Progression Grids

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tafkam, Oct 27, 2009.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

You could use the headings given in the new KS3 curriculum:
    Place, Space, Scale, Interdependence, Physical & Human processes, Environmental interaction and sustainable development, Cultural understanding and diversity

Someone kindly emailed me an APP-style grid for KS3 a few months ago. I would gladly email it on if it was useful. It only goes down to level 3, but might be useful. Message me if you would like it.

2. imanewteacher2007

imanewteacher2007 New commenter

I'd really appreciate that thank you, would be helpful to the year 6 teachers and i could always adapt it to fit into level 2 and 1.

Thank you tafkam
    email boozybird40@hotmail.com

3. tafkam

I tried to send that to you, but it bounced back. Perhaps email me? tafkam.tes@googlemail.com

4. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

5. imanewteacher2007

imanewteacher2007 New commenter

What a bloody fab document, cannot wait to share with staff and i think we might add some additional parts in too - speak to nursery and reception in particular.

Thank you so much, great find once again!

6. Hi, I am also a history and geography coordinator (was NQT last year) and I am really struggling to find assessment materials. Is there any way I could have a look at the skills progression grid for history you have made?
    Thanks in advance
    looneylou86@hotmail.com

7. tafkam

Can I just beg of you all to ensure that you don't over-simplify the wide heading of Geography to mean 'map skills' because the resources are more easily available.

8. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I did say this was a good starting point. Not this is all you will need to ensure progression in Geography. But it may give them a good jumping off point to see an example of one key area in Geography. I'm sure they will now look at other areas like patch studies, environment etc.

9. tafkam

Sorry upsadaisy, my comment wasn't intended as a slight against you at all. I agree that any starting point is useful. I'm just also aware that when such things are shared with teachers who are less confident in their teaching of Geography, the risk is there that it will become the central focus of assessment rather than just one strand of it.
    I know; I'm guilty of it myself in other subjects.