1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography questionnaire- please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by laurensherry7, Apr 7, 2017.

1. laurensherry7

laurensherry7 New commenter

Hi everyone!

So for my university course I need to write a research project and mine is titled: 'How does the approach to teaching subject specific vocabulary affect children's learning in geography?' I have a couple of questions that I would like primary school teachers to answer- all responses will be anonymous and are simply for data purposes. I'd really appreciate it if you could answer these two questions:

1. How confident do you feel teaching geography? 1 being very confident, 5 being not confident at all.
    2. Is there a particular area of geography that you prefer teaching?
    3. What approaches do you use to teach subject specific vocabulary in geography?

Thank you very much!

2. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

Why don't you create a survey - surveymonkey (others are probably available) - Might help with the anonymous bit.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Which two would you like us to answer?

I agree with @emmat34 about anonymity though.

4. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

OK - no survey so here are my answers:
    Q1: I have a Physical Geography degree
    Q2: I prefer teaching physical geography because I enjoy it more than human geography (which is more obvious).
    Q3 I ask the children what they think a term means, expand, and then I tell them - then an example is used.

5. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

Q1 - I have a Geography and Geology degree so 5.
    Q2 - I love teaching all of it and try to slot it into topic where ever possible. Eg using Google Earth to look at how the River Nile has shifted its course over the last 4000 years for our Ancient Egypt topic.
    Q3 - topic vocabulary is up on display, I also use word mats and it is on power points and interactive whiteboard slides.

Hope this helps.