1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography - Place knowledge

Discussion in 'Primary' started by academicallyblonde, Jul 29, 2015.

1. academicallyblonde

academicallyblonde New commenter

Next half term I am tackling the Place Knowledge strand from the KS2 Programme of Study.

"Understand geographical similarities and differences through the study of human and physical geography of a region of the United Kingdom, a region in a European country, and a region within North or South America."

Has anybody taught this previously and could give me any tips about how they went about it? Or could point me in the direction of any useful resources? (I teach Year 5/6 mixed).

Thanks in advance

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I actually do this over Yrs 5 & 6

I tackle 'a region in a European country' as part of a thematic unit on 'Our European neighbours' and base it on an area of the foreign language being studied (which in our case is 3 different countries as different years do a different language)

Then I do a study of 'World geography and links to the wider world', comparing and contrasting our local area with one 'within North or south America' and do a bit on 'News' items within that.

3. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

Similarly, we linked ours to other topics.

In lower KS2 we look at the region around Pompeii along with the unit on natural disasters.

In upper KS2 we look at Centra America alongside our study of the Maya.