1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography PGCE pre-course advice

Discussion in 'Geography' started by sticky2015, May 20, 2016.

1. sticky2015

sticky2015 New commenter

I'm starting my PGCE in secondary Geography in September but it's been 3 years since I graduated from university and feel I need to brush up on the subject somewhat.

I have bought the CGP KS3 Geography study and practice book, but does anyone have other recommendations for books or online resources for subject knowledge, and any good pre-course books on behaviour management, planning, classroom techniques etc? It's a course from 11-19.

Many thanks!

2. cmcardle5

cmcardle5 New commenter

Pocket guides to differentiation, behaviour management etc are very useful, they are used by many teachers I know. The secondary geography handbook by the GA is another excellent book and helps with assignments. Subscribe to the GA and take a subscription to teaching geography, this will be invaluable and by being a member of the GA you get discounts on books such as the secondary geography handbook.
    Good luck for your PGCE, it is extremely tough but unbelievably rewarding.

3. amalcolm2

amalcolm2 New commenter

geography ske

4. HotForest

HotForest New commenter

Learning to Teach Geography in the Secondary School will be what you're looking for it's the course bible..

Don't worry about subject knowledge you'll pick it up as and when.