1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography - Origins of my Family - year 1 HELP please :)

Discussion in 'Geography' started by beentothefarside, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Hey everyone! ive pretty much got my history sorted now, but am still struggling with geography :( i have a year one class and the topic is 'Origins of my family' i have scoured the web but cannot find any related plans or units to help me. has anyone else done this topic, or one similar? The only idea i can come up with is to look at the countries my class members come from and create a case study of each one and find them on a map....

2. Hey everyone! ive pretty much got my history sorted now, but am still struggling with geography :( i have a year one class and the topic is 'Origins of my family' i have scoured the web but cannot find any related plans or units to help me. has anyone else done this topic, or one similar? The only idea i can come up with is to look at the countries my class members come from and create a case study of each one and find them on a map....

3. I teach secondary geography so could be way out here but hope this helps. I would ask them to complete a grid which you design asking for the place of birth of mother, father and the 4 grandparents. These could then be located on a UK or world map. That would be quite tricky for year 1s so you may just want to stick to the country of origin? You could discuss simple ideas about migration and why people move house, or area or country.
    You could also make flags for the countries represented in class and put them up around the room.

4. Thank you very much!! These are some great ideas and have really helped me to bulk out my lessons :)

5. Glad to have been of help [​IMG]