1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GEOGRAPHY NATIONAL CURRICULUM LEVELLED ASSESSMENT GUIDANCE

Discussion in 'Geography' started by Treblig, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Just finished OFSTED and one of the biggest criticisms of our geography department was not sufficient "diagonostic" marking. We were encouraging but not given them sufficient information of how to progress from a level 4 to 5 etc. Have to admit alot of target vague e.g. try to link to places more. Has anyone got any good examples of target setting in Geography or knows where to access advice from.

2. Just finished OFSTED and one of the biggest criticisms of our geography department was not sufficient "diagonostic" marking. We were encouraging but not given them sufficient information of how to progress from a level 4 to 5 etc. Have to admit alot of target vague e.g. try to link to places more. Has anyone got any good examples of target setting in Geography or knows where to access advice from.

3. i have simplified the level descriptors to make them both teacher and pupil friendly. Post your email address and i will send them to you. I always stick to the basics: Level 3 simple descriptions, level 4 detailed descriptions, level 5 explain, level 6 explain and give examples, level 7 compare and contrast.

To boost this make reference to key geographical vocab and key words. Model answers are a good way to show progression from 4 to 5. Also good for building pupil confidence and something the whole class can contribute to. Emphasise the use of examples in lessons and encourage pupil experiences to contextualise theory.

I always give this analogy: ' i wear glasses, i dress smartly and come to school everyday' ( a simple description level 3)' I wear glasses because my eyesight is poor and need them for driving. I dress smartly becasue i am a teacher and i come to school everyday to teach you and to earn money to live' (an explaination level 5 )

I hope this is some help.

4. fella

fella New commenter

Dear Wellies.

Our geog department have talked a lot about levels and making them basic and geography related so i would appreciate if youcould email me with your simplified descriptors.

My email is alandcaggie@hotmail.com

many thanks.

5. wellies could you please email me your level descriptors, i'm ok with differences between levels but what makes a 3a different from a 3b or 3c etc??

carolineparr@hotmail.com

6. dear colleague,

I have just read your posting regarding the sharing of teacher and pupil friendly national curriculum level descriptors. I wonder if you might also send a copy of these to me.

Yours sincerely,

Mr P.Hayward

7. Dear Wellies,

Oops. Not having used one of these forums before, i simply addressed the last letter to you as 'dear colleague'. If possible I would like a copy of your teacher and pupil friendly national curriculum level descriptions.

Yours sincerely
    Mr P.Hayward

8. lidlest

lidlest New commenter

9. J25

J25

Any chance I could jump on the band wagon as I have to level geography at our next staff meeting and can find nothing around. Did you just start at level 3 or did you have anything for 1 and 2. Thank you

JRusling@aol.com

10. Could you possibly send me a copy of your level descriptors, they would be very useful in our Geography department.

Many thanks

Fuchsiafan1@aol.com

11. You will go to heaven if you send out your level descriptors one last time. They would be very useful to me as I am just starting a head of geography position in September. A million thanks.

mariaannerobinson@yahoo.co.uk

12. I would really appreciate you sending your level descriptors and any info on how you differentiate between the sub levels to mdurrant@hotmail.com Many thanks in anticipation

13. Dear Wellies.

Myself and my department head have talked a lot about levels and making them pupil friendly, yet geography specific. I would appreciate if you could email me with your simplified descriptors.

My email is philhoolihan@hotmail.com

Cheers

14. Dear Wellies

I would really appreciate a copy as well if you didn't mind?

My email is: nicolaparkhill@fsmail.net

Many thanks!

15. Crikey didn't realise how popular level descriptors are. There not great but it's a start and you can tweek them as you like. Sorry for the delay. HAve not checked this sight for ages. www.sln.org.uk/geography is the god of all discussions forums!! :)