1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography Map Skills

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lknott18, Nov 16, 2018.

1. lknott18

lknott18 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm getting to grips with my role as geography subject leader.
    As part of my targets, I need to do a staff meeting for map skills and developing them across different year groups.
    I've been asked to create a staff audit for confidence with different geographical skills.
    I was wondering if someone had a staff audit I could use, or take ideas from? I'm struggling with what to put on it. (And also have a million things to get done for this meeting!)
    Thank you :)

2. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

I don't have an audit for this but maybe you could ask for a list of which skills each year group actually teach. Then you could see where the gaps are and ask what training staff need to support pedagogy. Our school mapping skills include:
    proficient use of a compass, recognition of symbols on OS maps, map reading skills using coordinates, using Google Earth to look at an area and then zoom in and the aerial photos or the yellow man dropped onto a location, using Digimap for different tasks, creating own maps, labeling maps at different scales (world/continental/national/regional/local), using an OS map to create a circular route for a walk that would include physical features of interest, using maps to follow a river from source to estuary. These are a few I have just thought of. Hope they help.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.