1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography knowledge for PGCE

Discussion in 'Geography' started by camilla9, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm new here and hoping to draw on some experience to see whether teaching is right for me. I've got a degree in Oceanography and have worked in the industry for 4 years but I am concerned that this may not be seen as enough Geography knowledge to get on a secondary PGCE.
    I'm keen to do anything I can to address this, studying up on current exam, re-taking A Levels (I only got a C) to show current knowledge of the curriculum, volunteering for the GA ambassador program, attending relevant seminars, open university modules etc... But so far I'm not getting information from university about what the best route to take is to prove my knowledge is sufficient (both to myself and to unis!) is proving impossible.
    Can anyone in the know make any reccomendations to put me in contention for a successful place?

2. Get some experience in a school observing geography lessons. (At least 10 days, 2 weeks or so would be better).

3. Thank you, yes I will have about 2 months observing in schools before I apply. But will this really address my technical knowledge of Geography enough to overlook my non-relevant degree?

4. Hi
    It might be worth coming on our course for PGCE Geography students, that way you have some more relevant knowledge under your belt!

Ready, Set, Teach! CPD Day for PGCE Students
    These conferences for PGCE students, trainee teachers and those preparing for a PGCE are fundamental in preparing delegates for life in a busy geography department. A fantastic way to start thinking about CPD!
    Details
    Date: Thursday 7 July 2011
    Venue: Royal Geographical Society (with IBG), 1 Kensington Gore, London, SW7 2AR
    Time: 9.15am to 3.45pm
    School Members/Fellows/Early Career Teacher Members/Young Geographers: £10 inc. VAT
    Non Members: £30 inc. VAT (includes Young Geographer membership package, usually £40)
    Full programme and booking form can be found here http://www.rgs.org/teachercpd or email me Claire at c.wheeler@rgs.org
    Claire
    Royal Geographical Society with IBG