1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography/History at KS1, what do you do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jan 17, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Year 1 do: Toys, Homes, Florence Nightingale, Local Area

Year 2 do: Great Fire London, Island Home, Seaside, Europe
    No I just need a short history or geography topic that is exciting and can link to literacy as well. Anyone got any ideas that they use that are brilliant?

Thank you in advance.

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Can i just check that I'm right in thinking that in year 2 we don't have to cover great fire of London,as long as we do a significant event

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes you are right. The NC is just about skills and general historical awareness, the context/events is up to schools/teachers.

That's why I want some ideas...

4. daisymoo

daisymoo New commenter

We are in the middle of a topic looking at Scott's expedition to Antarctica, which is working particularly well because it is the 100th anniversary of his team reaching the South Pole and so there is lots of coverage in the media. We also did a topic about Ellen Macarthur's record breaking voyage around the world, which appealed to my Year 2 class because it took place 7 years ago and so some of them were born while she was travelling. Both of these topics have provided us with the opportunity to look at a variety of historical sources and we've got lots of geography in as well.

5. rainbowdrop86

Phew! We also are doing polar regions. Class are loving it. We'll look at the titanic, again good with it being the anniversary. Last term we did knights and castles. Summer term we are doing dragons and dinosaurs, and Olympics, so all topics can have a hits/ geog edge to them

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Breadth of study
    6. During the key stage, pupils should be taught the knowledge, skills and understanding through the following areas of study:
    a. changes in their own lives and the way of life of their family or others around them
    b. the way of life of people in the more distant past who lived in the local area or elsewhere in Britain
    c. the lives of significant men, women and children drawn from the history of Britain and the wider world (for example, artists, engineers, explorers, inventors, pioneers, rulers, saints, scientists)
    d. past events from the history of Britain and the wider world (for example, events such as the Gunpowder Plot, the Olympic Games, other events that are commemorated).

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Dragons and Dinosaurs sounds fun... Not quite sure how to get history or geography into it though.

The titanic would work...Geog, map work and routes. Hist, obvious.

8. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Why mix them, they're two separate subjects?

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

but linked

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I don't have to mix them. Just it seemed obvious when studying the Titanic.

The GFL was purely history, Europe was purely Geography. We aren't doing either history or geography this half term. Seaside in the summer will be both simply because it covers both.

Next half term is free to be anything at all...

11. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

So you don't have one geography lesson, and one history lesson a week?
    I would have thought with the Ebac there would be more emphasis on history and geography, rather than the mix it all in one topic work.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Seriously -for Year 2 in Primary?

13. Lara mfl 05

For dragons you coul look at China and dragons?
    Is it the Kosimodo dragon, which is what 'dragons' are supposed to be based on? So a geographic link there.
    Dragons and the Norselands (Scandinavia) and Noggin the Nog for a link to Literacy?
    Dinosaurs? Might there be a local link to your area. Do you have a local dinosaur mueum? Much of the British coast has links to fossils.

14. Lara mfl 05

Missed the edit time.
    Dinosaurs has lots of potential literacy links.

15. rainbowdrop86

Last term was mainly History with castles, this term is mainly geog with polar regions. Will look at titanic as significant event. When we do Olympics that will also be geog and history. We don't do both in one term, well I suppose sometimes we do but only if it links to the topic.

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

There might well be, but we don't do the Ebac.

Definitely don't have one history and one geography lesson. More have a longish history lesson (2 hours) when studying a history topic and a longer geography lesson when studying geography.

Littlies couldn't really manage geog and hist every week as well as separate lit. I haven't before combined hist and geog, but am open to the idea.

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Might well do this...sounds exciting and something children don't know about at all.

18. deanow

deanow New commenter

Not sure whther this would fit in with what you're looking for minnieminx but I've done Louis Braille with a Year 2 class and they loved it. We created a Braille museum (information leaflets, Braille on cards to work out, charcoal portraits of Braille etc) and the chidlren became museum guides for other classes.