1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geography - Andes Mountains Year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stephbrennen21, Aug 28, 2017.

1. stephbrennen21

stephbrennen21 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I am struggling on creating an activity for learning about the Andes mountains in South America and what to cover when talking about this. Could someone please help?!

2. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Look at the national curriculum objectives for geography, read some websites about the Andes and look online for examples of mountains planning.

3. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

100% agree. This is exactly what I do when planning lessons on something new that I'm not familiar with

alexanderosman likes this.
  4. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/mountains/types.htm
    This website should give you some background knowledge.

The Andes are fold mountains. They were formed due to plate tectonics (the subduction of the oceanic crust moving under the South American plate). I would include some map work so the class can locate these mountains on a world and continental scale and then include a practical activity where the class work in small groups making different sorts of mountains using folded cardboard, cake, balloons etc. You need to explore all the different types of mountains in order to put the Andes in context.

5. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

This is a photo from the Parque Aconcagua in Argentina, pretty much on the border with Chile.
    The Aconcagua is the highest of the Andes and I think the highest mountain outside the Himalaya (but check that).
    What I love about this photo is that it's an ammonite found at about 3500-4000 metres above sea level. I knew they were fold mountains but just can't really get my head round the idea that this land was once under the sea.

Edited to add: struggling with the photo but will keep trying

https://rachel29002.smugmug.com/Chile/Laguna-del-Inca-Parque/i-MvbxkW3
    [​IMG]