1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geocaching / Munzeeing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impulce, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Has anyone tried doing either of the above?
    We tried geocaching and found it loads of fun - I used to love treasure hunts as a child and it is basically a grown up version using your smartphone as a GPS device to find hidden 'caches' that are all over the place (There's one in the trolley park of our local Tesco's, but they are usually in outdoor places like parks and nature reserves).
    Munzee is very similar but uses those QR square barcodes, and as you find them you scan them with the app and collect points.
    Ive just been out for a good 2 hours at a local lake and we found 5 - we had a right giggle and walked for around 2 hours so had some exercise to boot!
    I just wondered if anyone else had given it a go.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have a friend who is very into Geocaching but he has a very expensive GPS thingie to do it with. We tried with Mr BS's smartphone but it wasn't accurate enough for us to find the caches.
    If we could do it without spending hundreds on a GPS then I would be more tempted but we do a lot of walking anyway.
    I can see that it would be a great way to encourage kids to walk more.

3. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Love geocaching! Haven't got a fancy phone...but have had great fun with colleagues, other friends and family - walking, searching, giggling, drinking- you name it , we've probably done it and who cares if we didn't find the stash!