1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

genuine question from a primary teacher

Discussion in 'English' started by thehawk, Oct 5, 2015.

1. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

How easy is it for a secondary school to teach year 7, given that you have pupils from many different primary schools, some which might be rather high acheiving, and some which might be less so?
    What are the problems and how do you deal with it?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You have to start by doing lots of baseline assessments to see where the children are 'currently' in their learning, which can be a bit dull for more able students as they may be covering things they are well able to cope with, so lots of carousel work to extend the more able and providing support for those who need it.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I don't think there's anything 'easy' about teaching any year group tbh. I assume mixed-ability and unreliable incoming records so, as Lara says, I do my own assessments - some more detailed than others.
    Truthfully, I can't say it's any more difficult teaching students coming from different schools than students coming from different teachers in the same school.

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I start teaching something accessible to all, and assess them as they go. I try to have something more challenging for those who seem to need it, and obviously attempt to support those who struggle. As the weeks go on, you realise where those high achievers have weaknesses, the strengths of the lower ability, and the different abilities of the majority. Once you do that, it's easier to plan.