1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Dec 30, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Am watching this film now on More4.
    Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Russell. Two astunningly beautiful women, well groomed, fantastically dressed and.........................a good size 12-14 with boobs, a waist and a bum! True sex symbols if ever there were.
    They look gorgeous!
    So where has it all gone wrong?
    When did we, as a society, stop regarding curvaceous, real women and crave size zero stick insects? I mean today, size 10 is considered 'big'!
    These two are real women. Maybe not with faces we can aspire to, but with figures more acheivable than today's ideal for most of us.
    Interestingly Mr Belle, and most of my friends' OHs prefer a bit of meat on the bones of their ladies, but it is us women who want to look like a twiglet on speed. And, of course, the designers who design mostly for women carrying less fat than a chip!
    I for one would love to look like MM or JR anyday....................even if size 14!

2. I think it's beginning to change again. Most men I know prefer the larger lady. But 12-14 would be fab for me, as I'm currently more a 16!

3. BelleDuJour

Flick onto the film Disguise.
    These ladies are gorgeous!

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

It is far easier for a frock designer to design a dress based on straight lines and sharp angles than it is to accommodate curves. This, and other reasons, were behind the trend to the dominance of Lowry characters on the catwalks and hence into advertising generally.

5. BelleDuJour

So tell me DZ.....which do you prefer?
    MM is currently singing 'Diamonds asre a girl's best friend' and what I wouldn't give to look like that!

6. doomzebra

Curves, always curves - Junoesque, Reubenesque, Callipygian curves

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

To be honest I don't know why anyone even bothered claiming to be a sex symbol after Marilyn Monroe. It began and ended with her in my humble opinion. I've always believed real women have curves, and have always been grateful that Mrs MSB isn't some gristly underfed twiglet.

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

dunno
    An obsession with youth, incipient ephibophilia.
    An end to rationing and wealth no longer being porky
    wallis simpson, no woman can be too rich or too thin
    feminism and being no longer defined by your **** -dressing to please yourself

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There has always been a difference between what men like to see in a woman and what women like to see. Stick insect models are not there to appeal to men. They are there to appeal to women and to entice them into buying the clothes, makeup, hair products or whatever (using the man's money obviously). Look at any top shelf magazines and you won't find any stick insect women in there!

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

11. doomzebra

' Look how she moves. Just like Jell-O on springs. She must have a built-in motor or something'

12. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

In size only.
    I would prefer to look like me and be happy. The problem, to me, is focusing on a size rather than a person (be that 14, 10, 8, 0). I would prefer not to have multiple marriages and not be a conservative, Christian bigot. I would prefer not to have alcohol problems (and have to sign myself into rehab in my 70s).

13. BelleDuJour

I am me and happy.
    [​IMG]
    Working on this one! [​IMG]
    TBH I did say I'd like to look like them, not be them.

14. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Yes, in fairness you did. Sorry to be a misery. I just think that there is often an over concentration on "being like" somebody else in one respect or another, rather than embracing who we are.
    Again, sorry for threadcrashing.

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Was it ever any different?
    As far as I can tell it's only other women who want to be skinny to show off their clothes better, and the gay men in the fashion industry who all seem to want women to look like young boys.

16. BelleDuJour

Good point.
    Apart from Gok of course.................who loves big bangers!

17. Not to put a dampener on things but Monroe would not be a 12-14 in today's sizings. Szings have changed a fair bit since then

18. BelleDuJour

I think you'll find she actually is/was a size 12-14, even by today's standards. I was judging her size by eye and that's how she looks to me.

19. doomzebra

I never understood this idea that the shape and size of a woman (any woman) could be reduced to just a single number - it makes a mockery of their curvilinear variety

20. Gah, Belle, sorry, you're right! Thinking about it, she was a technical sixteen, which is today's 12/14. Please ignore my stupidity.
    *Blush*