1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gentleman Jack

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Laphroig, May 20, 2019.

1. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Anyone see this last night? I became a fan of Anne Lister when her diaries were first published in the late 80s and the bbc series is off to a rollicking start. Suranne Jones is excellent in the title role.

emerald52 likes this.
  2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Just couldn't get into it.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I rather liked it - a bit quirky and some interesting social comment. The Reform Bill will be back again...

Laphroig likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Not a fan of Suranne Jones

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The trailers made it look a bit pantomime to me. Didn't watch it.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I've been planning to watch it since it was first mooted. I was up at Shibden last summer doing my 'research'.

I love anything by Sally Wainwright. I doubt it'll be as good as 'To Walk Invisible' but I watched it last night and enjoyed it. Some 'fourth wall' stuff but I trust Wainwright to know what's she's doing. Check out all the interviews on YouTube.

It's HBO/BBC so it's been pushed a bit. People shouldn't expect another 'Fingersmith'.

Laphroig likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I loved Fingersmith !

Laphroig likes this.
  8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I did think this character had bee attempted by the BBC at an earlier date.
    I assume the extra idea is the romp will bring in viewers looking for 'entertainment.
    Not sure if I could be bothered to watch it.....just as I have never watched the game of Thrones even though I read science fiction and fantasy books occasionally.

9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Maxine Peake played Ann Lister in 'The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister' It's very grainy but I struggled through it.

If Maxine Peake ever worked with Sally Wainwright the telly would explode.

But then she might have done.

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I love a good costume drama this one looks like a female led Poldark. It's quite fast paced at times for the period it's set in and for that reason it reminds me of Moll Flanders. I will carry on watching to see how it goes since a cross between Flanders and Poldark can't be bad, can it?

Laphroig likes this.
  11. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I’m enjoying it.

emerald52 likes this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yeah, Maxine Peake wasn't on that long ago. And again - all those winks to camera. I do hate that fourth wall stuff. I also agree that it looks as if it's verging on pantomime. Certainly preposterously melodramatic.

And that's my review. From seeing the trailers! Don't know if I'll bother with it.

lindenlea likes this.
  13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Excellent - really enjoyed it. Very believable characters and wonderful acting.

14. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Agreed.

emerald52 and Laphroig like this.
  15. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

@grumpydogwoman, I think the trailers were not a fair representation of the programme. (What a surprise.)
    I'm not a huge fan of Sally Wainwright - the Professional Northerner always seems a bit grating - but I did like this.