1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Genre writing KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by whodbeateacher, Dec 20, 2011.

1. (I keep posting - need to get out more!)
    Anyway, I'm under great pressure to move my Yr2 class on this year ([​IMG] and so I've gone right back to basics as this was where the gaps were (phonics, basic punctuation, sentence construction etc etc). Things are slowly improving which is great but do need constant work - my question is which units do you think I could drop for Yr 2 to give me time to do this?
    On the list for this year are narrative writing, patterned poetry, instructions, explanations, information texts, non-chronological reports. This last has to be done - SATs. I've done some narrative work and instructions but am really struggling with choosing the best units to help them move on. We are studying polar regions and I'd LOVE to use Lost and Found about the penguin as I think they'd respond and writing would be great - but it's more narrative.
    What do others think?

2. (I keep posting - need to get out more!)
    Anyway, I'm under great pressure to move my Yr2 class on this year ([​IMG] and so I've gone right back to basics as this was where the gaps were (phonics, basic punctuation, sentence construction etc etc). Things are slowly improving which is great but do need constant work - my question is which units do you think I could drop for Yr 2 to give me time to do this?
    On the list for this year are narrative writing, patterned poetry, instructions, explanations, information texts, non-chronological reports. This last has to be done - SATs. I've done some narrative work and instructions but am really struggling with choosing the best units to help them move on. We are studying polar regions and I'd LOVE to use Lost and Found about the penguin as I think they'd respond and writing would be great - but it's more narrative.
    What do others think?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Drop all the stupid units and teach what they don't know from the national curriculum.

We are, in theory though not really in practise, doing traditional tales this half term, so narrative. However all I'm doing, planning it today, is using a traditional tale as a context and covering a variety of writing genres.

Last half term we had Europe as the topic and covered poetry, non-chronological reports (though I didn't refer to them as such, bad teacher) information texts and instructions.

the SC for writing always includes punctuation and using phonics knowledge to spell, so it is reinforced every single lesson.
    LOL I think that about me, but I have a hideous cold and cough and so lying on a sofa wasting time here while pretending to plan is more appealing than showing all and sundry my rudolph nose right now!

4. We are focussing much more on the basics rather than worrying about covering all the bits like explanations. We are making sure we do narrative, non fiction and some poetry and will do some instructions in a small way. However, I see little point in spending time doing something like explanations when they are still struggling with the basics. I don't follow the units for the narrative or poetry either, I do what I think they need. I just look at the NC and make sure I am covering the things I need to. The children have been much more engaged, have made better progress, and I don't feel constrained either. I would go with what you think they'd respond to. Don't worry to much about the SATs, it is your asessments you need to report. We are doing the SATs across the year from Feb onwards and using them very much as diagnostics, so they don't take over the curriculum at any point.

5. Yes, my feelings too. It's good to hear others saying the same so thanks for that. I very much get the feeling from this forum and talking with colleagues that the NC (obviously the only statutory 'bit') is getting much more of a look in than ever it did when I was training (!).
    We spent hours getting to know the Strategies (old and revised I should say) and very rarely looked at the NC - shocking really.
    Thanks. I need to have more engaged children and now feel confident that that's the way to go.

6. We're going to do Lost and Found!
    We actually get most of our ideas from the children, but we're also thinking of messages in a bottle leading to information writing about a country they land in (maybe meet Paddington Bear). We'll probably do a guide book for penguins with features of n-f writing. We'll cover explanations by talking and writing about equipment they need on their journey.
    Narrative writing will come in somehow - probably with a sea monster.
    We're starting the topic by having a treasure hunt in the woods - we know the elves have had a Christmas Ball (we've set that one up already) - so after the treasure hunt we're going to find anything they lost at the party. (This will possibly lead to Cinderella / Prince Cinders).

7. Looks good! I've ordered the book and the DVD - looks fab. Some lovely ideas from you that I will unashamedly steal!

8. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

You might also want to look at the teaching sequence on www.emmarogers.org.uk on Lost and Found for more ideas.

9. Thanks for that ! :)