1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

genie is out of the bottle (online learning)

Discussion in 'Education news' started by gigaswitch1, Mar 21, 2020.

1. thin_ice

thin_ice Occasional commenter

Report today saying that two thirds of children haven’t done any of the work set online.

Surprised?

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  2. thin_ice

thin_ice Occasional commenter

Sorry. Just spotted the other thread on this. I’ll butt out.

3. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

Having looked at the BBC resources today with my own kids I would describe them as better than nothing and might be good to supplement a well-planned curriculum but by themselves they would not be enough to run a home-school programme. Aside from the fact that no on-line curriculum can provide for team sports, practical music, drama, DT and science lessons or all the extra-curricular plays, concerts and the like which require skilled, hands-on professionals and equipment in many cases.

Academically, I can do a pretty good job of teaching most of the primary curriculum but by myself I am not a patch on what my kids' primary school normally is.

5. I agree with your comments. Teachers/Tutors have worked very hard to make the best of a very difficult situation. My fear is that organisations will see this as an opportunity in future to make class sizes bigger and spend money on distance learning packages. Some of this technology is impressive and has proven to be valuable in the current situation. However for many students on the edge of the education system, such as the early transfers or students with special needs, such as autism, this remote type of learning is not appropriate. They are not mature or motivated enough to work at home. They may not have sufficient broadband/computer equipment or printing facilities. However, most importantly, they need the face to face interaction, to encourage their participation in education and to develop their social skills. I hope the outcome of this unplanned situation is not that some of the most vulnerable young people in society are excluded again!

ACOYEAR8 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  6. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Who knows. What I experienced before calling it quits was that the majority (students and parents) don't care and just bank on being the next latest pop or football sensation while those (about two %) who do want to make something of themselves will emigrate to the sunny shores of America or some EU nation. I don't count on this nation lasting for much longer.

7. ysimmonds

ysimmonds New commenter

With class sizes halving, unless teacher numbers are doubling, students will be doing 50% of their study independently. So I think a lot of content will be delivered via a blended learning model

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So if the teachers are in school teaching who will be setting the work for home?

9. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 New commenter

Those who are shielding if you have any in your school whilst it is just some year groups in. Long term I guess it will be planning for a week which you are teaching over two weeks and planning for one week home learning over two weeks so no extra planning.

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If online is so great, why are the Government trying to rush us back to school so quickly?

11. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Childcare. Just childcare. That's why it's R & Yr 1 first, as they're the ones who need the most and are perhaps harder to farm out.