1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

genie is out of the bottle (online learning)

Discussion in 'Education news' started by gigaswitch1, Mar 21, 2020.

1. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

I love the fact we have got together and made so many online resources for students. Google Classroom, Teams, Moodle and or youtube; everyone has done an amazing job in keeping education flowing in these tough times.
    We should be all proud of what we have done in the last month or so

The bit that has made me nervous, is we have now shown it can be done; even though most of us have nearly killed ourselves doing it.

Where is this is going to lead? in the future, will MATS have online classrooms to teach 60,90 or even 100 students at one time? Will you need to support the students 24/7 using online forums like some teachers are doing with Teams (not quite sure why)? Will we have to set homework and then have webinars with students who are not sure on how to complete the task? Are universities going to have to offer more online learning so students don’t need to spend money on living on campus?

I know all of these things can have a place, but I do wonder how this might effect jobs, working and mental health of students.

ajrowing likes this.
  2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I fundamentally disagree with the basis premise of your post.
    We have not shown it can be done.

We can continue to teach online but it is not equivalent to classroom face-to-face teaching. Not by a long way.

Also, facing a computer 5 lessons a day is exhausting for the teacher and unhealthy.

The facts do not matter. MATs will be all over this as will Pearson who already sell online A levels.

Teachers as part of the gig economy coming to you soon.

3. slugtrial

slugtrial New commenter

Online learning needs to be a lot better.

After 35 years in teaching, I recently decided to take the pension and do some retraining using e-learning platforms. This was to save money by not going on expensive face to face training.

I’ve watched a lot of live webinars, done countless e-courses and had virtual coaching (usually Skype).

90% absolute trash.

Now, I’m not saying that the work being provided at the moment by my recent colleagues falls into the 90%, but the worth of good, face to face class teaching will be easy to see after the novelty of online wears thin.

My heart goes out to all the teachers dealing with this awful time and providing the best quality they can. It shows how we should value all of our public services.

simonCOAL and agathamorse like this.
  4. gigaswitch1

@moscowbore you miss judged my post, I don't say it can be done well, just can be done.

I completely agree with everything you said after that point and everything @slugtrial said. I am very nervous of where this is going to lead and how this will affect the teaching of the students.

I hope i retire before we get to the gig econom.

simonCOAL likes this.
  5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

...and of teachers.

6. gigaswitch1

7. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

I’m not worried, I don’t think it can be done in a way to meet the needs of all pupils and it is certainly not effective. Also, who would care for all the kids while their parents are at work?

I have a sneaky suspicion that the government do realise how important teachers and schools really are, they just pretend to ignore it because we are an expensive and needy profession and they do not understand what we do about teaching and learning.

citct, simonCOAL and Morninglover like this.
  8. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

What are you up to now @slugtrial?

Apart from socially distancing and getting curvature of the spine from sitting in front of your computer for hours.

9. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

If most kids were like my eldest it would work but many more are like my youngest so it doesn't.

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

No we have not.
    We have shown we can chuck stuff out there.
    Your post is remarkable for treatment of teaching as a one way street.
    You might as well say that by standing at the front of a room full of sleeping people and reading out a lecture on quantum physics, we show it can be done.

On the receiving end of what "can be done", a panoply of boredom, resistance, misinterpretation, inability, over confidence, meddling parents, absent parents, copying of answers, googling of answers and parroting from siblings.

According to your post it can be pretended, and worst of all, we can attribute the pretense of online teaching to those who instigate it and laud them as educators without even a mere glimpse into the minds of those who are supposed to have learnt.

Teaching is learning, not saying what can be done, and the only people who can truly say it can be done are those who have learnt.
    Did you ask them?

PGCE_tutor likes this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

Your insecurities are tied up in ‘what ifs’. Anyone can imagine a future being very different to current times. And once you start thinking in such a negative path, it becomes defeatist.

What if ....

No one ever leaves their house again?
    Food is delivered to each house?
    Cars are banned to protect the planet?
    Each house has a hospital bed to save room in hospitals?
    Money is banned and there are bank cards only?

You see- it’s more important to deal with reality here and now. Otherwise you end up making yourself unnecessarily ill and most likely over worry. What if you counted your blessings for a change?

a1976 likes this.
  12. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

I don't think online could ever replace the classroom on a massive scale but I think probably sooner than later online learning will impact the structure of the school day. It is very possible that schools could require additional subjects on top of what students have already chosen or required to take and those will be online. Online could be a way to offer courses that can't be offered within the school day. It is VERY possible that school leaders may allot certain weeks, lessons, etc for online learning that will supplement what is taught in the classroom. Perhaps weekly class meetings, etc. It may give school leaders and teachers the chance to be creative. One way or another, things are going to change, whether it comes from this crisis or is implement a few years down the line. It may come to pass that some lessons are offered via web conferencing in certain situations, etc where 30 kids are sitting in a classroom in one school within a MAT taking lessons from a teacher at another school within the MAT and having a facilitator in the other classroom.

On a side note, can you really trust Chantel or Gavin to sit at home and attend school online? i don't think so.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  13. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Fear not, whilst teachers may have shown they can deliver online learning, I think many parents have realised how much online learning demands from them and are desperate for schools to reopen.

a1976 likes this.
  14. a1976

I think so too.

15. citct

citct New commenter

Perhaps they will be a combination of "real" teaching in class for those that want to and virtual for those that don't. Should improve classroom behaviour; "remote classroom" could be an effective sanction! :)

16. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

That’s a good idea! When in isolation, students can continue to complete the lessons they have been taken out of!

a1976 likes this.
  17. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

18. a1976

There we go! Smashing idea.

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The BBC is making online teaching happen. Its supposedly undertaking lessons and schemes. Although I haven't seen them yet

20. slugtrial

slugtrial New commenter

I think this is more of a long term threat to private tutors.