1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Generic teaching / lecturing Job Descriptions!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cillia, Aug 17, 2018.

1. cillia

cillia New commenter

Who can guess what job (other than teacher) this is description of?
    Can the departments and HR team not understand that they need to differentiate between teaching Chemistry or Art or English and the specifics of the curriculum? - these below are just implied terms of teaching. Do any other industries have this nonsense?
    These job descriptions should make up a part of your contract. I fail to understand how this continues.

Job Description
    RESPONSIBLE TO: Curriculum Manager HOD
    KEY ROLES:
    1. To teach allocated classes.
    2. To act as tutor as required.
    3. To prepare, deliver and assess learning to the required high standards and expectations.
    4. To market and promote courses and programmes to a range of stakeholders.
    5. To report on learners progress to parents and other stakeholders.

MAIN DUTIES
    1. Preparation and delivery of lessons and courses; assessment, recording and reporting on assessments.
    2. Supporting and participating in curriculum development; accurate maintenance of registers; preparation of reports.
    3. Working as part of a team to quality assure qualification delivery and develop Schemes of Work and associated resources
    4. Consultation and reporting with parents and colleagues as needed.
    5. Attendance at staff, department, team meetings and parents’ consultation meetings.
    6. Participation in examination arrangements including invigilation.
    7. Participation in learner admissions, learner trips and visits, enrichment and guidance of learners.
    2 of 4 JD: Teacher 2018
    8. Participation in marketing and promotional events.

GENERAL DUTIES
    The post holder will be required to:
     perform any other duties as may be reasonably requested by the Principal.
     participate in appraisal and professional development as appropriate.
     carry out their duties with due regard to the policies on equal opportunities, health and safety and quality assurance.

THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS SUBJECT TO NEGOTIATION WITH THE POSTHOLDER, AND TO ANNUAL REVIEW
    Person Specification

The following qualifications, qualities, skills and experience are considered necessary in this key post.
    1. Essential Education and Qualifications
    a) A recognised teaching qualification in a closely related subject - A
    b) Degree in a closely related subject or equivalent professional qualification at level 4 or above – A
    c) Level 2 in English and Maths - A
    2. Essential Knowledge, Experience and Skills
    a) Extensive knowledge of motivational and effective pedagogic practices - T
    b) Substantial knowledge and experience of the range of learner tracking methods needed ensures stimulating learning experiences
    c) Experience of working in a school and FE environment,
    d) Well-developed written and oral communication skills – T
    e) Knowledge of the relevant course content in a vocational setting – A
    f) Ability to motivate students to maximise their potential – T
    3. Desirable Commercial or Teaching experience

a) Commercial experience of the subject required to teach of at least 1 years paid employment, or substantial experience of teaching the required subject with evidence of high standards achieved - T
    3 of 4 JD: Teacher 2018

4. Desirable Knowledge, Experience and Skills
    a) Good team player - I
    b) Flexible and innovative approach to work - I
    c) Proficient in the use of IT appropriate to this post - T
    5. Essential Personal Characteristics and Aptitude
    a) Commitment and enthusiasm for student learning in a variety of ways - A
    b) Total commitment in delivering an outstanding learning experience to students - I
    c) Readiness to be involved with teaching and learning support activities across the College - I
    d) Commitment to equal opportunities in the delivery of the curriculum - I
    e) The ability to work flexibly and effectively as an individual and team member - I

Attitudes - Essential
    Commitment to the role of post-14 education and training in developing and improving people’s lives - I
    Determination to promote equality of opportunity throughout all aspects of College life, including employment and service delivery - I
    Commitment to ensuring a healthy and safe environment - I
    Commitment to continuous personal and institutional improvement - I
    Commitment to high professional and personal standards of work and of conduct – I4 of 4 JD: Teacher 2018

Tenure:This post is offered on a permanent basis
    Annual Leave:65 days’ annual leave per year including bank and public holidays and
    efficiency closure days.
    Probation:Confirmation of appointment will be subject to satisfactory completion of a nine-month probationary period.
    Trade UnionTeaching staff have the right to belong to a trade union of their choice.

Membership:
    Pension:Teaching staff are eligible to join the Teachers' Pension Scheme.
    Staff Development:Teaching staff are required to participate in reasonable arrangements for further training and development. If you are unqualified at the time of appointment you will need to obtain a qualification appropriate to your teaching duties within the first year of appointment.

thekillers1 likes this.
  2. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

agathamorse, Mangleworzle and vannie like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

They missed off the bit where you have to have a brush stuck up your bum so you can sweep up as you walk round saving them from a cleaning job. i always found the "any other reasonable duties" to be suspect.

sabrinakat and agathamorse like this.
  4. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

Unlikely. They tend to be no more than a side of A4 and vague enough to satisfy employment law.
    HR people are an overhead seen as obstructive. Nobody much cares what their opinion is except with regard to employment law, and then they are usually not very good at it.

5. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

I guess

I look at a lot of job descriptions - one from this afternoon I saw for an administrative role made me giggle (but fretfully) - the 5th requirement was speaking/writing Russian.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

They aren't all like that, though, are there? This one does lots of stipulating how you are supposed to think. Look at the essential attitudes section. No! Get lost! Get out of my head! All it means is that it's the kind of place where nobody sits in the staffroom bitcHing about their tough groups because it's the wrong attitude.
    There are also a couple of alarm bell clauses towards the end which would stop me from even considering working for them.

No, they are not all like that. The nicest schools I know use the fewest words.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

You clearly haven't seen the 12-page job descriptions issued by some social service departments.......

thekillers1 likes this.
  8. thekillers1

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2018
  9. thekillers1

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2018
  10. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

thekillers1 likes this.
  11. thekillers1