1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Generic Secondary Maths Homework Menu

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Sazon, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Sazon

Sazon New commenter

Hi All

I am trying to put together a takeaway style menu for use in a secondary school. The idea is that you will be able to ask the class to, for example, complete a starter and main course of their choice; a different class you might ask to complete 2 starters or 2 main courses.

Attached is how far I have got.

I am sharing this in the hope that it will be of use to others as well as getting some feedback.

I am also looking for suggestions on how I could use this with peer marking.

Cheers

Saz

Attached Files:

AlexPanebianco likes this.
  2. seloff

seloff New commenter

I like your idea as it encourages a 'fun' aspect to homework, as well as looking at the topic in more depth. Dessert could be more of real life examples or applications (from a magazine, newspaper etc)
    S

3. AlexPanebianco

AlexPanebianco New commenter

This is a really nice way of setting homework as it also gives students freedom to work as they want. A lot of student feedback with regards to incomplete homework is "I didn't feel like it" or "I already know the topic", so a variety of extensions is fantastic. :)

My only piece of advice (although this might be something you've already considered) would be to have a condition that students create a variety of "meals" through the term, to prevent them from making the same choices every time.

Love the idea though and I might have to give it a try. :)