1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Generic PGCE Sunderland

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by DavidWales5, Feb 11, 2020.

1. DavidWales5

DavidWales5 New commenter

Hello all,

I am considering studying the distance learning PGCE with Sunderland Uni. I am currently teaching ESL in a Chinese Secondary School. Although I am already aware that the course does not bring QTS status, that is not my main concern.

My main issue is that this PGCE is a generic PGCE, meaning it’s not specific to any subject. My degree is in history and following the completion of the PGCE, I would consider moving back to the UK and become a history teacher.

Therefore, my main question is if I was to study the a generic PGCE, would I be able to come to the UK in the future and teach history? Is there a way of converting the PGCE to a subject specific one? Or are there any other routes?

I would very much appreciate some advice about this.

thank you all

David

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Remember that to teach in the UK you will need QTS .

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. DavidWales5

Yes I am aware of that. But I can obtain a QTS through Assessment Only. That is not the main point of my post. Does anybody have any information regarding my main point in the original post? Thank you

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Meeting the teachers standards is what will get you QTS so a generic PGCE may not be a problem but you would be best to speak to a provider of the assessment only route.
    Do you intend to complete the online PGCE and then come back to the UK? You would also need to check if your teaching of ESL would count as teaching experience towards being accepted onto an AO route.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...y-route-to-qts-criteria-and-supporting-advice

TheoGriff likes this.
  5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

6. Lucas95

Lucas95 New commenter

Do you have a degree in History ? I think this may be the key to the question. If you do then I expect generic wont matter and if you don't then it will. I would think most of the Uni input would probably be generic in the UK as well but you'd have the additional bonus of having a history mentor and possibly get to see lots of other teachers teach history (just check some uni websites see what they say -see if anyone mentions specific history hrs). Of course you might be in this position in China too. Why don't you ask Sunderland ? I looked at Warwick PGCEi and they were really really helpful and straight up. They also follow the UK teaching standards for the assessed placement using paperwork which they also use for their AO route which would probably be helpful. Check to see if Sunderland do this too.

TheoGriff likes this.
  7. DavidWales5

Hello guys.

First of all I do have a degree in history. Thank you all very much for your advice. I have found it all very useful and Sunderland said having a generic PGCE wont be a problem. I was wondering if that was just because they want me to enroll on the course. But then again I suppose that it shouldn't be the case. I will call Warwick and ask them their opinion also and see if they have a similar opinion.

Thanks again for the advice.

TheoGriff likes this.