1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Generic Letters

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SecondEd1, May 16, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am determined to leave the area that I grew up in this summer, ideally I would love to return to Chester (where I went to uni). This means that over the summer I will mainly be looking to apply for jobs in that area, however I would like to get a headstart on looking for jobs, would typing up a generic letter and sending it to some schools in the area asking if there will be any jobs available for september be a good idea or something that would be put straight in the bin?
    Today I went to my old school to ask if I could do some volunteer work to gain more secondary experience (currently I am in a primary school) and I was told that there would be a job available there for septemeber because someone is leaving. As I cannot travel to Chester to volunteer this sort of opportunity does not present itself, which is why I thought about writing a letter and sending it off.
    P.S. I realise there may be some of you saying go for the job at my old school, but I am unhappy living in a rural area and want to move back to a city, I don't really want to be miserable in a job because it is not where I want to be because I think (sort of know because of my primary school experience) it will have a negative impact on my performance.
    Regards

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errrm, I assume you are a teacher as you are posting on here?

If you want a post for September then you need to look on the LA website and see what jobs are being advertised right now. Starting to look now is not a headstart, but actually puts you on the back foot somewhat. Many people looking for posts for September have already secured them,.

Schools are advertising NOW for September and you need to be getting on and applying for them through the proper channels.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A school, even one who has your name and address and expression of interest, will expect you to keep an eye open for their ad, and apply just like everyone else.
    So don't bother with the letter.
    Especially as most Heads' secretaries are trained to remove them from the pile of post that they pass on to the Head.
    Look out for the job details - on the Local Authority website, and here on the TES. You can set up JobAlerts here in the Jobs section of the website, allowing you to be informed regularly of certain types of posts in certain specific areas. You tailor the Alert to suit your need
    Good luck!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!