1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

General supply resource books?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by stranger., Jul 13, 2017.

1. stranger.

stranger. New commenter

Hi guys,

I'm going to be starting supply in September again after 7 years in the same school, and the last 4 in Reception. Pretty scared tbh.

I feel a bit unprepared and a quick browse on Amazon throws up a few books of what I assume to be general ideas. Although they might be a bit out-of-date for the new curriculum.

Have you ever used one of these books? How do you rate them, or is there somewhere better to get general ideas I can walk into anywhere with?

Any & all advice appreciated!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

I needed a SPAG book! (The oxford grammar punctuation and spelling dictionary) and a subscription to t w i n k l, but I have taught from FS to UKS2 so I have plenty of books that I can take along to do my own thing if necessary.
    I think the only thing I need for Sept is a maths book like my SPAG one..as I've used the SPAG one to check my facts a few times and I think I may need one for maths if I get UKS2.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  3. Mrs_Hamilton

I'd not be keen on those books from Amazon...if you can teach you can teach. Supply is about adjusting to teaching different children in different schools but the basics are the same. Behaviour management, curriculum knowledge, time management, marking etc are already part of your toolkit you just need to pull out the right tools at the right time...

les25paul and guinnesspuss like this.
  4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Schools are required to provide the resources. We get paid significantly less than our full permanent colleagues who also should not be paying for resources. It's a slippery slope when someone who isn't employed by the school pays for stuff they should provide.

peter12171 and les25paul like this.
  5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I was under the impression that work should be provided for supply and cover teachers. Is this not the case?

6. Mrs_Hamilton

@Kartoshka
    Work 'should' be provided but in primary (particularly 1 form entry or smaller) there often isn't anyone to leave work when it's an unplanned absence.

I don't blame schools...there's been so much change in the curriculum and it seems to be ongoing due to the drive for 'improvement' that the plans from previous years cannot be used...primary are often planning week to week.

Sometimes books are at home for marking so you can't always check where they're up to, the chn are so young they don't always know or explain what they were previously up to, no TA...

7. Mrs_Hamilton

BTW I'm not saying the secondary curriculum isn't the same, and they may well plan week to week too etc but my only experience is primary, so I can't say what secondary is like.
    Also, maybe it's just my area that this is the case.

8. stranger.

stranger. New commenter

I did supply for a year when I first qualified, often I found that if the supply was unplanned there was nothing left for me and if it was a small school I was completely on my own. That was a few years ago but I'm definitely, nervously, expecting at least a few days of the same.

I believe what you say Mrs_Hamilton about "if you can teach you can teach" but having spent 4 years in Reception I feel like I'd rather have a helping hand if I have to step into Year 4 or 5.

However, having looked on T-winkl I think my money would be better spent on renewing my subscription than on these books!

pepper5 likes this.
  9. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

Out of 90 days teaching last year, I only needed my own resources on maybe 5 days.