1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

General questions...

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Freddie92, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

How many periods a week do you get for N5 and Higher in your school?

What is on the agenda for the 2 extra INSET days? Are they not about tackling teacher workload?

What is staff morale like in your school?

Has PEF and SAC closed the gap? (No need to answer that - I know the answer already)

Tracking and monitoring... is it excessive in your school?

How many after school meetings do you have? One a week? One a fortnight? Once a month? None?

Who would leave teaching at 60?

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

1) N5: 4 periods for S4 and 6 periods for S5/6; Higher is 6 periods.

2) InService days' agenda was pretty flexible, working in departments or on your own. Some important stuff the whole school had to do to help a DHT get her headship qualifications but nothing too onerous. Credit where it's due.

3) Morale is poor (changed from poop!). Staff are fed up of being verbally assaulted and looked down upon by pupils. I think most teachers - apart from the pole dancers, sorry, climbers - just want to get on with teaching. There's too many ineffective and incompetent people in promoted posts nowadays who simply don't want to rock the boat because of the possible effect on their glorious careers.

4) PEFSAC - yes, we do all know.

5) Tracking and monitoring is fine. It's the Spanish Inquisition afterwards from the FH, SLT and track-suited PC that's the problem: "you've got to give them a chance, you know".

6) We used to have a DM once a week, always after an 8-period day. The FH ran out of things to talk about and she would never end the meeting early; we would catch her clock-watching whilst talking about the most irrelevant garbage to spin out the time for the whole hour. There's only 10 in the entire year now so it is better.

7) I will be taking early retirement. I used to enjoy teaching, the vast majority of my colleagues and pupils. It's not the same any more and I can't wait to get out.

Freddo, I take it from the scope of your questions that you are in a mood of despair and despondency?

3. partickz

partickz New commenter

How many periods a week do you get for N5 and Higher in your school?
    S4 is 4 periods per option choice and S5/6 is 6 periods.

What is on the agenda for the 2 extra INSET days? Are they not about tackling teacher workload?
    department development time.

on the floor.

Has PEF and SAC closed the gap? (No need to answer that - I know the answer already)
    lol

Pointless to an extent, but not excessive. Issues with deadline being too close together.

How many after school meetings do you have? One a week? One a fortnight? Once a month? None?
    12 one hour DMs.

4. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Left at 56, sometimes drop in here and then I enjoy my freedom all the more. Life is exquisite once you escape!

5. aypi

aypi Established commenter

Already had my main suggestion knocked back.
    OK
    Has PEF and SAC closed the gap?
    No need
    No
    Once a month
    I'd leave tomorrow if there was an option financially.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  6. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

We’ve all had our ups and downs but at present it looks like our workplace is going to the dogs. Too much change heaped upon change with another smattering of change thrown in.

We’ve had quite a few changes at the top which looked good at first but now a lot of issues and decisions are coming home to roost. And the lower school are wild. Nothing gets done. It kind of makes sense reading that post about Pivotal education.

Weak, indecisive leadership from some and also a horrible atmosphere that has crept into the place, with folk scared to air their views and opinions. One obstacle to all this is an ineffectual but well meaning union rep.

Staff leaving in droves. Some have been encouraged to! Not sure that’s allowed? The future isn’t bright. I’ve never known staff morale to be so low.

sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  7. autoq

autoq New commenter

As different schools have different periods lengths (even within a school day) , the total minutes of teaching time would be more useful, or at least also say how long a typical period is on average ?